Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 new bow hunter in training! >

new bow hunter in training!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new bow hunter in training!

Old 06-27-2006, 11:55 AM

Default new bow hunter in training!

Hey all! Been on this forum for a while reading what all there is to read.

I bought a bow based on my price range. It seems quite reasonable and i really enjoy the feel of it and the look. The one dillema that I have is that since I live in an condo building here in the city, my closest access to a range is well, not too close. I happen to live though near a huge forested park here in Toronto. I know in some parts i could probably find something really secluded to setup my target and shoot away..

But I am concerned since it is in the city that if someone came by they wouldnt think too highly of it. But what do you guys think on the idea? Or should I just wait until I find somewhere outside of the city.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:39 PM

Default RE: new bow hunter in training!

Yeah, I doubt shooting in town would be good. Now, I'm not in Toronto, or even Canada for that matter, but I know we have a local ordinance that prohibits shooting my bow outside in town. Notice I said..."outside?" If you have the room, and can do it, perhaps you could set something up inside? I know several guys have a small range in their basement.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:40 PM

Oh, and don't leave us hangin here!! What set up did you get?
Old 06-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd use caution or at least check into it with local authorities although I doubt that outcome would be a good one. You'd be better off with an abondoned building or warehouse where you could do it indoors. Pehaps if you checked around you could find a nice side area where you could set up a 20 yard range that might even be good when the weather is sour.

I wish you luck and also, welcome to the forum and the passion we all call bowhunting/archery.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:03 PM

haha. sorry fellas. ok, so here is the setup.

Martin Magnum (it was a package set: quiver, site, rest). Since I dont know too much yet about what is good and what is not, i figured i would start with this bow and go from here. As well, i had installed a peep and... um... string loops? since I bought a quick release i figured i would get those as well to save my string. Oh, and some basic Carbon arrows and field tips and a green case.

When i got the pro to set it up at the shop, i tested on a couple of their bows and it seems i can shoot at 55lbs pretty easily, so that is what the tension on the strings are set to. I think the bow is capable of going up to 70 lbs, but i doubt i will hit that anytime soon.

I took some pictures of the whole kit with my cell phone. hope these show up here as well! Lemme know what everyone thinks.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:06 PM

Welcome to the forums!

I shot outside my apartment while going to school and never got any complaints. I shot parallel to a highway and there was a couple trees where I would stand so I guess no one really even knew. I'm in the process of finding a place and being able to practice is a huge variable as to what I will rent/buy.

Go to a proshop in your area and ask them. You might make some new friends that will let you shoot at their place. Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Nice lookin set up!! Enjoy that rascal!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forum Varcos ,you've come to the right place to get the answer's your gonna need down the road .
I live in Creemere Ont ,so I'm a couple hours away from you . What shop did you get your bow [BassPro]?
If I were you I think I'd try to find somewhere outside the city to do your practicing ,knowing the law's are pretty tough in the city limit's .
Look's like you've gotten yourself a pretty good setup to start with ,just keep practicing abd hopefully you'll be ready for this upcoming bowhunting season .

nubo
Old 06-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey that's all you need! My buddy shoots a Martin Jaguar and it'sa sweet little bow. I would aska wardennear that forest area, maybe they cansuggest somewhere to practice and maybe even where to hunt.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:17 PM

hey thanks guys for the support to the forum!I am going to check out with a couple of the authorities around Toronto and find out where would be a good place to practice. I am sure i will find something. =) Hopefully i can get enough practice in for the upcoming season.

You guys will definitely see me around abit more

Quick Reply: new bow hunter in training!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.