Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
morning vs evening, if you had to choose >

morning vs evening, if you had to choose

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

morning vs evening, if you had to choose

Old 11-01-2002, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default morning vs evening, if you had to choose

Because of my work I can't always hunt both dawn and dusk. I usually just hunt in the evening as it is a bit easier to set up after work. What is your success rate in evening vs. morning stands? Is one time significantly more productive than the other?
Old 11-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: morning vs evening, if you had to choose

i prefer mornings but both are productive.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:56 PM

Great question!!!

I actually started analyzing it this year - now that my father & I have a few years under our belt on 'our' bowhunting ground. After tallying up the harvests guess what - it cam out even!!!

Dead Even - no kidding!!!

We have an excellent chunk of ground in MN and generally hunt it for 10 straight days in the pre-rut - and have been doing so for 5 years.

We've taken 10 deer off the property - 5 morning, 5 evening!!!

I used to be an evening guy but this year I had 3 shots in the morning, none in the evening - last year I got 2 in the morning, none in the evening - the 3 years before that - morning!!!

I guess what I'm writing (now that I'm rambiling) is either am or pm could be good - depening on the setup. I found good patterns from nighttime food to daytime bedding this year - in years past I've found better evening food sources.

If I had to choose I'd rather stand in the PM - but shoot in the AM!

Aim small miss small
Old 11-01-2002, 07:42 PM

Mornings have always been more productive for me. It also leaves plenty of light for any tracking that needs to be done. It can be tough to get up early, but it's worth it.

Old 11-01-2002, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Evenings for me!
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 11-01-2002, 08:16 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Mornings are much better for me. A lot less pressure and a lot more tracking light if needed.

Old 11-01-2002, 08:24 PM

I prefer evening hunts because I can get into the woods without alerting the deer.

If I ain't huntin',I'm trappin',If I ain't trappin',I'm fishin'
If I ain't fishin',I'm wishin'!
Old 11-01-2002, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I just love the chill of the morning air. The crispness of the fall leaves. The smell of the fall leaves with the dew and frost on them. I love to watch the daylight come and see the first critters start moving around. Mornings are just alive. Deer in my woods also seem to move more daylight hours in the AM than they do in the afternoon. I don't know which I've taken more deer on... but if I only had my choice of one or the other it would be AM.... handsdown.

Old 11-01-2002, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

In Washington State, whether after Mulies, Whitetails, or Blacktails, I prefer mornings. With a few exceptions my most productive hunting is in the morning.

One other thing that I think is important too . . . I have all day to track . . . (if necessary).

Bowhunter
Old 11-01-2002, 09:01 PM

totally evenings for me i just don't see enough big bucks in the morning to justify hunting hard for them except the peak of rut.

Quick Reply: morning vs evening, if you had to choose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.