Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too many Stands??? >

Too many Stands???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too many Stands???

Old 06-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too many Stands???

This will be our 3rd year on the lease and I am considering hanging 3 additional stands around my established hunting area. The stand placement I am considering will keep all ofthem at least 300 + yards apart. The terrain is hilly and there are a lot of ridge lines, drains and points mingled in with hardwoods and pine thickets.

First,do any of you think I can have too many stands inone general area? I pan on rotating where I hunt depending on my scouting and the wind.

Second, any ideas on the additional stand placement? Should I focus on travel corridors, rub/scrape lines or bedding areas?

Sometimes I "out-think" myself and I would like a little advice. Thanks,
Old 06-22-2006, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Too many Stands???

I think that if you have the stand 300 yards apart like you said thatit would not be a problem. Because you then have other places to go and it would help prevent burning out a stand as they call it.As a suggestion, I dont think you should put a stand in a bedding area because if you get spotted you could drive them out of the area completely. But if you do decide to put a stand up in or near a bedding area make sure that the wind is in your favor as with all your other ones.Just a thought. As far as other placements go, I would suggest maybe putting one up near a scrape line. It would be a great place to hunt just prior to the rut as the deer will be restless. But again, just my opinion. Some may agree some may not. And by the way anyone who has something to say to correct me I just wanted to say that I would take your advice and learn from it. Because I dont want to start some big argument over this. Thanks for listening to me babble. Hope it helps.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a firm believer in having lots of stand options.. mostly because if i want to hunt a specific area i have options for most wind situations.. The key is not hunting them to much. If you want to hunt a stand alot try this.. We have a stand on a corn pile that we keep a CPR training dummy in so that when the deer come they get used to seeing a person there. Suprisingly it works very well. The deer look right at you and dont even bat an eye.

I try not to hunt it much, but its family property and my extended family hunts it alot.

As far as placement... Go w/ where deer travel.. if your hunting pre rut find where the deer stage before feeding. I recently started using TOPO info to place stands... deer like "valleys" usually because there is thick timber on the slopes as well as in the bottom.. they feel safer there... And they are essentially lazy, they wont go up and over a hill if they can go around. Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

No you can't have too many stands you can only over hunt. I prefer portables to keep my options open but lock ons are fine. I've been known to hunt in a triangle with friends about 60 yrds apart. The area clled for it.

Best advice I can give you and it works well with what your thinking of doing, don't be afraid to move in the middle of your hunt. If you see a bunch of does heading up a different trail exspecially if a buck is following grunting away, MOVE to a better stand with a shot on that trail. There is a better chance another buck will follow that same trail and if your not there you will be watching him too.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can never have too many stands. You never what kind of situation might arise. If you have multiple stands in an area and need to relocate you won't need to go in and move a stand just simply use one of the other ones. I hunt an 60 acre piece of property and have 6 stand locations and 4 ground blinds. I have another handful of tree I like to have stands in but don't have the money to do it.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can't have to many. Its always nice to have a lot of options
Old 06-22-2006, 02:24 PM

No, not too many. As long as it's you having options and not having too many hunters. I have several, some areless than100 yards apart so that I can hunt a specificarea but adjust my position to compensate for wind directions, etc. Several stand let you change your tactics to fit the way the game is behaving and changes in weather much easier than having to pack up and move everything.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:05 PM

The more the merrier!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Dominant Buck

If you keep all your stands 300 yards apart, I can guarantee you're missing a lot of good hunting in between. Rather than try and put them 300 yards apart, put them where they need to be. Yes you can have to many if you're just throwing them up so you have one every 300 yards. You need multiple, but not ungodly numbers. You need to plan each stand as if it's to be the first time is the best time and only time to get that buck. I would have NO problem putting a stand 50 or 100 yards from another for bow hunting. In fact, I've put them closer to allow me to hunt an area of different winds.