Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What should I look for? >

What should I look for?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What should I look for?

Old 06-21-2006, 02:05 PM

Default What should I look for?

I am going to go scouting for the first time this year. I plan to deer hunt on a nice chunk of public land. I know it may be a little too early to pattern the deer for the rut, but I just want to get out there. When I go tomorrow, what should I look for to narrow down my spots?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What should I look for?

I am forced to hunt public land, but it can be productive. Look for natural funnels, edges of hardwoods and evergreens. My best spots are those that get overlooked. Find the nastiest, densest cover and dive in. Also, look at the routes others hunters may enter and exit, usually around lunch time they will drive deer to you and not even realize it. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always start with a good topo map. Find the areas that look to be the farthest away from the roads (and other hunters)and then the areas in there that look to be good funnelling routes. Public land isn't bad at all if you hunt where no one else does. Makes it a lot like private land except for the LOOOONG walks that you sometimes have to do. There haven't been anything wrong with the deerI have taken off of public land.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:36 PM

When does your season start, Zak?

When I scout this time of year I mainly look for feeding areas that are being used regularly. My season opens in September though, so the deer are still using the same feeding areas then.

If your season doesn't open until later, look for natural funnels.

If I were you, hunting public land, I would go as far back in as you possibly can. If that means leaving an hour earlier to hike 2 or 3 miles into the woods, do it. Pubic land hunting can be great, you just have to go back into it farther than the lazy hunters who stick close to the road.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:05 PM

Yes, start w/ a good topo map and find the funnels. ie, saddles, benches, hilltop field funnels and such. Anything that will pinch down the deer movement. Then head out and though it will be tough this time of year, try to find any left over rut sign from last year. Rubs and such. Remember those places and hunt them this fall. They should be active again this year. The biggest thing on public land is to find the other hunters and do it different than they do.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:32 PM

How can you find funnels by looking at a topo?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: zak123

How can you find funnels by looking at a topo?
Oh. Well, first you would have to learn how to read a topo. Do yourself a favor and get the book "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon. Good stuff, and you will be able to find them after you know how to read them.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well let me tell what I do when I go scouting.
Once I'm out in the woods I start looking for heavey travel routes & secondary trails, I'll walk up and down these trails and look for signs like last seasons rubs and scrapes don't forget about dropings.
Look around for ridges and funnels you might find a bedding area or were there feeding at.
Check out the trees and surrounding brush and look for swamps or boggs if you have crop fields nearby look for enter and exit routes.
Steady topo maps and read books orarticles about tracking don't forgetto use a compass or GPS unit I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing you got lost or something else.

Good luck & GOD BLESS.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Just walk and look for tracks. See how fresh they are. If you have problems telling how old they are, revist each day to see how they age.

You should be in better shape then you think. I was in your backyard about 1 month ago and wow things have changed. Along with that change comes less hunters and more opportunities. It's time now to look at new spots, check out other properties and get permission to hunt.

Good luck
Old 06-21-2006, 10:30 PM

Where in Southern Mississippiwere you Fieldmouse? The woods here are completely destroyed. Do you think that will affect deer movement?