Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thanks for the tips on talking to landowners. I got some land. >

Thanks for the tips on talking to landowners. I got some land.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thanks for the tips on talking to landowners. I got some land.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Thanks for the tips on talking to landowners. I got some land.

[align=left]Hey I just wanted to say thanks to everyone,especialy Kevin1 for the info on talking to landowners. It paid off. I got myself some land all to myself(the first time since I started hunting) There is deer sign all over the place and I cant wait to hunt it. Thanks again[/align][align=left][/align]
Old 06-19-2006, 10:00 AM

Default RE: Thanks for the tips on talking to land owners. I got some land.

I think I may ask around this summer too. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

Good luck on the land!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:51 AM

congrats
well whats the story...how did you approach him? how did he act? all that junk.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Glad to hear it , and you're more than welcome , but save your thanks for the landowner who has so graciously granted you the access . Treasure and nurture that relationship like the gold it truly is .
Old 06-19-2006, 11:58 AM

Ok well lets see. Um first off I already knew that someone else was hunting it so that made it really hard to approach him even though I knew him. But I asked him and he told me that the other guys did not want to hunt it anymore due to a fence put up. He then asked what I would be hunting with so I told him a bow and he seemed okwith that .So there was no problems there and I will be helping him do some fencing this summer. It is only like 10-20 acres but I am pretty glad about that because it will help me with scouting. I was on top of one of the hills(the land is filled with hills and holes) and like the entire ground was covered in poop. So I am ssssoooo pumped. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:06 PM

Default RE: Thanks for the tips on talking to landowners. I got some land.

I also may be asking for permission to hunt an apple orchard that I used to work at. No one hunts it and I figured it would make a great sept. stand area. Just a thought.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

...and a good thought at that if it is the type of apple that drops around that time.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a little tip I learned a long time ago. When you start hunting the property, don't go telling everyone what you've been seeing ( deer wise). Not even the land owner. Because he will tell the next guy and they will hunt it harder.

Here's an example. Let's say you see a couple real dandy bucks and you tell the land owner about them. He is likely to tell the next guy " Hey John saw a couple real dandy bucks down by the pond the other evening. He said one might make pope and Young"

Those guys will put exta effort in hunting that area because of that info.

I just usually tell the land owner I didn't see anything or maybe tell him I jumped A doe on the way in. Then he'll tell the next guy " hey, Windwalker has been hunting the last few days and hasn't seen too much, except a doe he jumped" Those guys are likely to not hunt that hard or not hunt at all.

Its not honest but its better than going hunting the next weekend and running into a couple other hunters and them telling you " Hey, We heard you saw some big bucks up on that ridge. We put our treestands up there and going to try to get one of them"

Old 06-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Windwalker7 is right.I would never let on the location of good bucks.There are some places where I wont park my truck because if hunters I know see it they will know that I am in that area for a reason.
It may not be an issue for many depending upon how vast your area is but it is in my home area.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:50 AM

Hey thanks for the input. But Windwalker7 I will be hunting it all by myself. There will be no one else hunting it. But I do completely agree with you. If I ever saw a buck or anything else I try to completely avoid the subject of Hey do you see alot of deer where you hunt? kind of stuff. But my exuse this year if people ask about it and all that is, I have pemission for me not you. I'll see how that works. Thanks for the info. I will keep my mouth shut about the the big 160 I saw in there the other day. Oops