Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How old is your bow? >

How old is your bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How old is your bow?

Old 06-13-2006, 09:59 AM

Default RE: How old is your bow?

2006 APA Black Mamba Xtreme

3 Months old
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 AM

I still have a few of my old compounds from the 80s and my Martin TD recurve was probably built in the early/mid 80s and they all work great today. My new Switchback XT was built earlier this spring and it replaced a Hoyt Deviator Carbonite that I bougt in 97 (STILL throws Gold Tips over 280fps today!).

In all honesty I only bought the Switchback XT because working for a dealer I got it through Mathews corporate plan (is a STEAAAAAAL of a deal, well below wholesale even) and could sell it tomorrow for twice what I paid for it. The smoothness, quietness and lighter weight is a bonus but I didn't just HAVE to have that over my old Hoyt which still shoots just as fast as the XT.

RA
Old 06-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

My oldest was made in '64. Newest was made in 2003.

There isn't any set age or number of arrows that tells you when to replace a bow. A lot of it has to do with how much the bow has been mistreated by shooting overly light arrows. Any bow that's used to shoot minimum weight arrows is going to wear out a lot faster than one that's been used with heavier arrows.

I've got compounds from the 80's that are still in perfect shooting condition because they've never shot any arrow less than 8 grains per pound.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 01" Martin jag magnum. I did some upgrading on rest, stabilizer, peep sight, andsight. I've been pretty lucky with mine, as it went through a couple of dry fires and has been drop from treestand but still works like when I first got it. As mention above.....If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:39 AM

Thought about upgrading this week as I thought my '95 PSE SLR 1000 infinity is getting a bit long in the teeth. Has taken a lot of african game. 80 lbs. 31" 2419 alu with 160gr thunderheads.

Shot the new bows, went home with new arrows and cant see why I need to get rid of it!

Would still like a new mach X but with agents fixing prices it still cost the equivalent af about 475 big mac meals!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been through this before...my bow is a Browning X-cellerator and is 22 years old now. Round wheels, laminated wood riser, no need for cable guard. Still shoots as good asI do.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have and still use my Proline Mountain Bow, bought new in 1996. I still use it today.

I've taken about 20 deer with it over the years, while hunting PA and WV.

I usually don't come one the bowhunting forums because my equipment is so out dated and guys wouldn't take me as a serious archery hunter.

I've hunted with several bows and have takenseveral deer with them also.

Proline Riptide

PSE Baby G

Pse Fire Flite

Onieda Eagle

Here's a few deer taken with that old mountain bow

Old 06-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say that FOR ME, I think that if I still had a bow with the more circular cams I would get a new one because the more modern "extreme" cams give you so much for speed and energy. Every so often there is a "break through" that makes it worth it TO ME to buy a new one. I just don't think there has been that new break through since I bought my MathewsUltra IIso why spend the money? Again, this is all total personal opinion and if I could get a new bow for some super steal I would do it in a heart beat just to tinker around like someone else mentioned.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

My bow is so old, HOW OLD IS IT, it's older than dirt.
Just kidding, I have an GOLDEN EAGEL EVELUOTION, had it for 12 years now.
Thought about gettinga new one but I keeptelling myself, I say self why buy a new bow when your shooting so good.
I really like my bow but it is 36" long (ata) I was looking at something shorter like a PSE FIRESTORM or maybe that new one LIBERTY ARCHREY is putting out, it's only 20"(ata) or even a PARKER EXTREM there about 30" (ata).

Old 06-13-2006, 02:31 PM

just got my XT in Late Feb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.