Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How did you learn to hunt? >

How did you learn to hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How did you learn to hunt?

Old 06-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned

Default RE: How did you learn to hunt?

My Grandpa taught me.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My father introduced me and taught me about the outdoors and hunting.

I have also competed with some of the best callers in the country. Turkey calling instead of elk, although I have entered a few of those contestsas well. I have been lucky enough to place in the top ten twice and placed as high fifth in the Grand Nationals. ( considered the super bowl of turkey calling) That has given me a great deal of knowledge about the turkey and how to hunt them.

As for deer hunting I mostly archery hunt and it is a work in progress as I am learning something new all the time. Thanks to all of you...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm self taught. I use to ride my bike as a young teenager and wing shoot doves and hunt squirrels and rabbits with a single barrel H&R 16 guage I received as a birthday gift. I even tried bowhunting with an old fiberglass recurve and dull cut on impact broadheads. When I was 15 my father who I didn't really know bought me a Bear Black Bear II and I begged mom and my girlfriends mom for arrows and broadheads and I would ride my bike to the woods and hunt.

When I was 18 and started a job, I bought my first vehicle, an old 77 Land Cruiser and my hunting territory expanded.....I never looked back from that young time.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

My father and my uncle brought me up hunting rabbits, squirels, quail and pheasant. I myself studied deer and turkey and used what I learned from my father and uncle to become a successful deer and turkey hunter. I was taught respect of the game I hunted and respect of land owners and their property. I have to say they did an excellent job. To be honest it brings tears to my eyes thinking of the valuable lessons I was taught. Im blessed my father is still alive and well and we share my hunting experiences. I was blessed to have had an uncle interested in taking time out for me ( God rest his soul). Thank you for making think back to times gone by.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up on a farm and hunting was part of lifeso I learned many years ago.
A friend of mine got me into bow hunting 12 years ago and I really enjoyed every time we go out .
He taught me a lot the first 2 years the rest I learned on my own thru trial and error.
We still hunt the same patch of woods and I'm always learning something new everytime.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

With that saidI also feel few hunters are experts including myslelf and others who claim to be "theexperts" on the hunting channel and videos.
I just read through my post and didn't like how this sounded. I am worried that I was sounding cocky and braging and thatwas not my intent at all. I want to clarify this somewhat. I meant to say that I don't feel that anyone (myself included) is or can be a expert at all times in all places. The reason I say this it their are too many places, seasons andscenarios to master them all, no matter what game your after.For me with elkI am good at hunting them in the rut in September, but when bowhunting on a late seaon migration elk hunt well thats a whole different ball game and in a wayI feel like newbe starting all over again. I would bet if you could take the Primos gang into a area with a lot of hunters and the elk were call shy they would have a hard time even killing smaller bulls for the camera. If you filmed themin that scenario I would betpeople would look at them in a different light and might not think they are such excellent hunters or "experts". On the other hand I have a friend who hunts such areas not too far outside of yellowstone park with a lot of hunters. He doesn't believe in calling at allbecasue the elk are call shy.But because of the time he has spent learing his area year after year, he has the elk patterned so good that knows the escape routes like the back of his hand. He is successful year after year, and he kills some nice bulls that other hunters can only dream of.For him to be successful he actuallyneeds a lot of hunting pressure to make the elk move into his traps. So I guess what I am also saying is there is many ways to skin a cat so to speak and I don't feel that one is better than the other. If it works for you then great, if not then adjust a few things here and there and try again. I know that many of you had a dad or uncle or grandpa that you learned from, so did I. And I hope you all can pass on what you have learned to another hunter, be it a son, daughter or just a friend.There are some excellent hunters on this forum and many of kids and even adults would be privledge to be able to learn from them. But even then I feel the animals themself can teach us far more than we can learn from one anoter. I guess I that is why I don't feel that most hunting videos apply to the average hunter hunting on public land.I could be wrong of course but thats how I feel because of my own experience. Sorry for being long winded and I have enjoyed reading your replys.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have also competed with some of the best callers in the country. Turkey calling instead of elk, although I have entered a few of those contestsas well. I have been lucky enough to place in the top ten twice and placed as high fifth in the Grand Nationals. ( considered the super bowl of turkey calling) That has given me a great deal of knowledge about the turkey and how to hunt them.
Congrats, that is awesome, I have heard with turkey calling that is truely a challenge just based on the number of turkey callers.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad when I was a boy. Dad died in my teens. I found myself wanting to learn everything I could about bowhunting whitetails. I knew in my early twenties I really didnt understand them, so I changed my lifestyle and dedicated as much waking time as I could to learning about them in my home area. In my late twenties I quit coaching and everything else that cut into my scouting and archeryhuntingtime. Along the way I was fortunate to have an exceptional whitetail bowhunter show some interest in me. His inspiration has been priceless and still motivates me daily. Out of respect for him I keep his name private.

Today I have a job that affords me plenty of scouting and hunting time. With mistakes and experience comes a little more wisdom and changing goals each year. At my age of 36 I feel my best whitetail bowhunting years are yet to come. I am enjoying my chance to share my small world of bowhunting with my two young sons. Sharing hunting information here has been another added resource! Last, I give the animals credit for teaching me the most. The more time I spend with them the easier it is for me to understand how to hunt them.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned to love to hunt from father and older brother...as far as learning to be a successful hunter, they taught me that too...it was about enjoying yourself every moment you were out there, if you didnt then you were not successful no matter how many inches of antler there were on your walls or how easy it was for you to take game....
Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Got my basics from my Dad. Then we learned a lot together over the years just by being out there. That type of learning never stops.Plus just when talking to other people or reading articles you gotta try and sort thru all the info of what you think is good and what isn't.

Quick Reply: How did you learn to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.