Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Had to kill a fawn tonight >

Had to kill a fawn tonight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Had to kill a fawn tonight

Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 PM

Default Had to kill a fawn tonight

This time of year is always bad for fawns, when farmers have to start haying, and unfortunately my dad hit one tonight and i had to finish it off. Couldnt tell what it was, but it kind of disheartens me. just had to vent
Old 06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Had to kill a fawn tonight

that stinks,ive always wondered why they didnt run away,I guesssome of them probably arent able to
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had to do the same thing last fall. Bunch of young men in a compact car hit it, they tried but couldn't finish it off. I covered its eyes and pet it little and it calmed right down, didn't care what the sex was....... just wanted the deer to be out of its misery, 3 legs broke and a whole lot of damage to the rib section. The yearling didn't have a chance, hopefully its spirit will live on.
When I see the real young fawns while walking the dog they usually don't run until your right on top of them, I would think that w/farm machinery they wouldn't have enough time to get away.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 PM

Sorry for you.....that is hard. This time of year we really have to be careful too. My husband has almost mowed over two of the little guys. It's their nature not to move....they think they are hidden.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MOM W/SWDIt's their nature not to move....they think they are hidden.
This is the truth. I read an article in, I believe Outdoor Life, not too terribly long ago where it sayed that believe they are perfectly camoflauged until you are right on top of them. It said that their heart and breathing rates actually slow to a crawl when danger is near.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

[&:]couple years ago had to do the same thing. We were driving along and a truck had hit a fawn who was crossing the road behind its mom. I hated to do it but it needed to be done. Still hangs with me! [&:][&:]
Old 06-09-2006, 04:23 AM
Dominant Buck

When's dinner?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:12 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

When's dinner?
As long as you have to do something that sucks you might as well find something positive in it . I'll bring the beer .
Old 06-09-2006, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL
Old 06-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yup, many fawns lose their life to hay balers and don't forget cars, bears and coyotes. Stopped to talk with a guy yesterday on patrol of the 600 acre "resort" that I drove through for a job. I had parked to take a break and then pulled out to the job and I saw him coming and thought maybe he wanted to talk with me...

He said "actually he was coyote patrolling." He's killed 3, they are out lookin for fawns, it's pup season, fawn season and he heard a fawn squelling the other night.

Quick Reply: Had to kill a fawn tonight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.