Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Had to kill a fawn tonight >

Had to kill a fawn tonight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Had to kill a fawn tonight

Old 06-09-2006, 06:48 AM

Default RE: Had to kill a fawn tonight

In my eyes your a saint,in theeye of the law your a poacher.Life suck but the alternative is unaceptable.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

pardon my ignorince but if you know this is fawning time why do you hay fields now would it be so bad to wait a couple or three weeks. Belive me I'm not passing judgement I just don't know. Mike
Old 06-09-2006, 09:13 AM

I here ya, last night when mowing down an old pasture i missed a fawn with a 7 foot mower deck by less then a foot. He got away thank goodness but it was a close one. They just dont move until your right on top of them.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

You have to make hay while the sun shines Mike , and right now is that time nearly anywhere . If the doe , who is more than aware of human activity , chose the wrong place to hide her fawns then they never had a chance to begin with . If it wasn't the baler it would have been a coyote or other predator , open hay fields don't make for good cover .
Old 06-09-2006, 10:12 AM

wierd that you bring this up but 3 weeks ago a buddy of mine hit a doe on his way home. well the fawn that was with her just stopped and wouldnt run away. not sure why but whatever. so my friend got ahold of the little guy, and has been bottle feeding it ever since. i think he said he was going to raise it as long as he could. and keep it on his farm in a fenced in area. not sure what he is going to with it but i thought it was kinda cool.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I feel sorry for you I know that had to be a hard thing to do but you did the right thing by ending it's suffering.
Maybe your right in thinking that it's sprit will live on in GOD'S woods.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

When's dinner?
As long as you have to do something that sucks you might as well find something positive in it . I'll bring the beer .
Im with Fieldmouse and kevin1. I would have done the same as Beagle,I dont like watching any animal suffer needlessly. I enjoy watching little critters as much as I enjoy trying to harvest them. The only thing I would have done different is kept the spotted hide for a loin cloth and had some fun with the ol lady later on!!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:43 PM

lol @ diesel
Farming takes priority over does having their fawns. Farming is how we make our money and our living, and as Kevin said, you gotta make hay while the sun shines.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

I feel sorry for you I know that had to be a hard thing to do but you did the right thing by ending it's suffering.
Maybe your right in thinking that it's sprit will live on in GOD'S woods.
Amen
Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 PM

You can't wait 3 weeks cause there will be some more fawns then. We hit one on us a couple weeks ago. Hated it but it's just part of it. Farmers probably account for only 0.025% fawn mortality anyway. Some are going to die. That's just the way it is.

Quick Reply: Had to kill a fawn tonight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.