Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much to hunt a stand? >

How much to hunt a stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much to hunt a stand?

Old 06-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Spike

Default How much to hunt a stand?

I was reading in the "Spooking Deer" thread that some of you never hunt the same stand twice in a row. I was wondering what is the proper amont of time to "rest" a stand between hunting? And, is there a time length for hunting a particular stand? For example, if you don't hunt the same stand every day...is the stand good for all season? I'm not talking about hunting deer patterns, such as oaks when the acorns are dropping. Just, how long is a stand good for?

I ask because I am guilty of burning out a stand on more than one occasion...
Old 06-08-2006, 03:36 PM

Default RE: How much to hunt a stand?

I hunt the same stand every week every year. Don't see many bucks but I see plenty of big fat juicy does come in.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have a stand I hunt it every chance I get when the wind is right. The stand iswithin 20 yards of their travel route in a creek bottom. I see deers every year, not alot of bucks but I did missed a big wide 10 pointer last year. Will be hunting that same place again this year, already put a stand there.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can tell when it has been over hunted when you stop seeing deer or are only seeing them from afar. I have killed deer out of the same stand for three days in a row before. I never jack with the wind and am super snicky about getting in. If I get busted in a stand I won't hunt it for a good 2 weeks. If deer are looking up at your stand as they come in (and they will ) they are looking for you. I usaually hunt a stand morning and evening then move to another one.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

As long as the wind is right and you can get there quietly, hunt it to death. There are some stands that are just 'right'.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have 3 tree stands & 2 ground blinds about 80 to 100 yards apart form each other so I don't use the same spot 2 days in row.
Some are for early season & some for mid to late season and there in a good spotwhere I know the deer are at diffrent phase's of the rut.
When I'm in one stand or blind, I'm there for the whole day from sun up to sun down.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

This just goes to show how skewed one's mind can get by some of the other topics...

I saw this thread title, and I instantly thought someone was wanting to pay to hunt somebody else's stand! [8D]
Old 06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

This just goes to show how skewed one's mind can get by some of the other topics...

I saw this thread title, and I instantly thought someone was wanting to pay to hunt somebody else's stand! [8D]
Well, I did get a shot at a nice Pope and Young Stand last year, but it ducked my arrow at the last second. I was hoping someone in the forum could put me on a nice one this year...[&:]
Old 06-09-2006, 03:34 PM

hunt one stand for five days and give ita break for two days.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:39 PM

Too many variables to say for sure if you should go back to a stand or not because you never know....and with that said....I've hunted stands like crazy and have killed deer two days in a row at times......if its a good location then you can spook a deer and more will still come in! But I always have back-up stands and other land to hunt if I feel that I really screwed a spot up...but that usually doesn't happen.