Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I have a  problem shooting deer. >

I have a problem shooting deer.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I have a problem shooting deer.

Old 10-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have a problem shooting deer.

My reason is I just don't want to shoot. I see deer every day I am in the woods. Plenty of deer around not a bruser buck I only saw a spike but tons of does. I have had just about evey deer dead to rights anywhere from 1 yard from the base of my tree to about 15 yards away. When I get home from hunting my wife asks if I was lucky and got anything and I just say could of had 8 of them today. Then asks why I didn't take any I just say don't know just didn't want too. I just don't know why I just didn't feel like pulling the trigger on my release.

Some reasons that I may be thinking of are

1) In the pine barrens deer run small so a buck that goes 125 is really a good size buck for here in NJ. Does may go 80 lbs wet. So they are not that big.

2) Since they are small I just might not feel like spending $95.00 to get it turned into honey bologna. Yes the price is up there so for a doe that might go 70 lbs I am spending 95.00 on it I feel that I might not be justifing this expense in my head. and that is why I am not pulling the trigger.

3) This one is a sad excuse but I just don't feel like doing all the care for it gutting checking the deer in and expense for just a 70 lb deer. But if it was a shooter buck then YES I would have no problem shooting the buck.

Conclusion. I think I am just waiting for my chance at a nice buck before I shoot anything else. I have atleast 5 oppertunities to harvest does in a 2 hour evening hunt. I just don't want to. I even passed a spiker, but that was not really hard to pass him as the does were bigger than he was lol.

I do remember me saying to myself that I didn't want to take a buck smaller than the one I took last year. So even though I really don't think about it I might be thinking about it subconsciencely. I don't know but I do know one thing I am having a blast just watching the deer in the woods.

I have had the best time watching the deer in their environment doing their thing. I have had one really great experience this year as I had a doe bust me in my stand and snorted and took off but only 15 years away then stopped and lost me again only to bust me as she walked by again. Doing the same thing as last time snorted and took off about 15 years and lost me again. Then finally saw me again but didn't know what I was and we did the dodging thing where she look at me then away then right at me again and wagging her tail stomping her foot and I just loved it. King of wish I had that on tape as it was pretty cool. She finally took off and I feel that it was she made me smile from ear to ear with that game. Just typing it I am smiling about the whole thing as I just don't think I will ever forget.

Well that is how my season has gone for me this year. Plenty of does and one small spike so far. I don't really feel like changing my spot as the rut nears the big boys should come to me with all my does around. Who knows I just might get lucky this year and I might not but that is half the fun. If something does come by that I feel like taking I will let you all know. Thanks for reading my story and season so far.

Brian

Old 10-31-2002, 12:35 AM

Default RE: I have a problem shooting deer.

First of all if you dont need the meat as we replace all the meats we would normally buy in the market with venison each year, but if you dont need the meat then thats fine.
However if you get excited when seeing deer and shooting deer then I would say that you definitly do enjoy deer hunting so I would take advantage of the fact that you are not forced to shoot small ones or does and your opportunity for the big one will increase. I hunt zone 25 in nj and I know the pre rut has started here. I have taken and 11 point and a 12 point this year in zone 25 and things are just now starting to heat up as far as the rut is concerned so If thats the way you are hunting I wouldnt knock myself out over it. You probably have a 300% more chance at the nice buck if your letting does pass.
Just my opinion
Good Hunting fellow new jersian

The Brown-Down is ON!!!!
Steven J. Collins (Trock63)
Bowdaddy Productions
Old 10-31-2002, 04:16 AM

Buy a boning knife and or fillet knife)
and try butchering the smaller does yourself
Once youve done a few it only takes
a couple of hours. Meat grinders are
fairly cheap too. I like to keep the hams
and shoulders whole and smoke them. I may be the exception,
but I actually enjoy the cleaning and
preperation part.
If you are seeing tons of does and few bucks,
you need to harvest a few does anyway.
Anyhow, best of luck getting that big bruiser.

Old 10-31-2002, 05:51 AM

Good advice benhuntin.
I process my own deer and I find it enjoyable. It's kinda part of the whole hunting experience for me. Try It.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

I know how you feel Brian..After I shot my first buck, I just sat in the stand to watch. Could have taken another doe each time. My wife asks the same question, " If you don't shoot them, then why do you go?" They don't understand that is satisfying just to see them.

The next time you get a deer, c'mon up this and I'll show you how to butcher it up. It will save alot of money. Ask your butcher how he wants the meat cut to make bologna and then how much it would cost this way.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:12 AM

Here's how I see it right now: Pre-rut and rut is good bucks only. You never know when that monster is gonna be hot on the trail of a doe, a few minutes behind her, and you don't want to miss your chance at him. Live decoys are the best decoys.

After the rut I intend on shooting a doe for meat. I've been busy finishing up what little I have left from last fall's hunt and making room in the freezer for this year. Unless of course I manage to bag a nice buck, then I will have my meat for the year.

In your case though, as long as you're still excited to see deer and are having a good time when you go out hunting then don't worry about how many deer you kill. Too many people are so caught up in bragging about the 6 deer they shot this year for no reason. As the saying goes....sometimes less can be more.

-Zarr
Old 10-31-2002, 08:38 AM

I'd say that everytime you pass on a small deer your chances for the trophy go up dramatically. You still have your tag!

THWACK!
Old 10-31-2002, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

I enjoy Cutting them up to, Sometimes a few friends and I have several to do at the same time and make an occasion of it. I set up a butcher station in my garage. Feels good to go from start "the hunt" to the finish "eating."

As for shooting or not what ever flips your Wig.

By the way I hunted the pine Barrens in Jersey many years ago , Actually I lived in them. And there are some very big Deer there.

Striper Phil formerlt of Barnegat New Jersey
Old 10-31-2002, 09:33 AM

Here is an idea for all those who can't make people understand what it is like to just let them pass. Try taking a video camera along and taping the ones that you don't want to shoot. I have found that it is great fun to come home and watch the tape with my family. It is like having them in the stand with you. My 3 year old loves it. My wife who normally doesn't have any interest in hunting loves it as well.

Just a thought.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 10-31-2002, 09:55 AM

Have you ever heard of 'Hunters for the Hungry' programs? You may donate the meat in order to feed the hungry. Some butchers take the animals and with a small donation, they package the meat and give it to the local food banks.

Reasons to pull the trigger:

1. Feed the hungry.
2. Manage your deer herd. Thin out the does, and you will get bigger bucks (since you are not shooting them).
3. Don't shoot a small buck. He will be the 'big buck' you didn't see next year...

Quick Reply: I have a problem shooting deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.