HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I have a problem shooting deer.
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2002, 11:57 PM
445 supermag
Nontypical Buck

Default I have a problem shooting deer.

My reason is I just don't want to shoot. I see deer every day I am in the woods. Plenty of deer around not a bruser buck I only saw a spike but tons of does. I have had just about evey deer dead to rights anywhere from 1 yard from the base of my tree to about 15 yards away. When I get home from hunting my wife asks if I was lucky and got anything and I just say could of had 8 of them today. Then asks why I didn't take any I just say don't know just didn't want too. I just don't know why I just didn't feel like pulling the trigger on my release.

Some reasons that I may be thinking of are

1) In the pine barrens deer run small so a buck that goes 125 is really a good size buck for here in NJ. Does may go 80 lbs wet. So they are not that big.

2) Since they are small I just might not feel like spending $95.00 to get it turned into honey bologna. Yes the price is up there so for a doe that might go 70 lbs I am spending 95.00 on it I feel that I might not be justifing this expense in my head. and that is why I am not pulling the trigger.

3) This one is a sad excuse but I just don't feel like doing all the care for it gutting checking the deer in and expense for just a 70 lb deer. But if it was a shooter buck then YES I would have no problem shooting the buck.

Conclusion. I think I am just waiting for my chance at a nice buck before I shoot anything else. I have atleast 5 oppertunities to harvest does in a 2 hour evening hunt. I just don't want to. I even passed a spiker, but that was not really hard to pass him as the does were bigger than he was lol.

I do remember me saying to myself that I didn't want to take a buck smaller than the one I took last year. So even though I really don't think about it I might be thinking about it subconsciencely. I don't know but I do know one thing I am having a blast just watching the deer in the woods.

I have had the best time watching the deer in their environment doing their thing. I have had one really great experience this year as I had a doe bust me in my stand and snorted and took off but only 15 years away then stopped and lost me again only to bust me as she walked by again. Doing the same thing as last time snorted and took off about 15 years and lost me again. Then finally saw me again but didn't know what I was and we did the dodging thing where she look at me then away then right at me again and wagging her tail stomping her foot and I just loved it. King of wish I had that on tape as it was pretty cool. She finally took off and I feel that it was she made me smile from ear to ear with that game. Just typing it I am smiling about the whole thing as I just don't think I will ever forget.

Well that is how my season has gone for me this year. Plenty of does and one small spike so far. I don't really feel like changing my spot as the rut nears the big boys should come to me with all my does around. Who knows I just might get lucky this year and I might not but that is half the fun. If something does come by that I feel like taking I will let you all know. Thanks for reading my story and season so far.

Brian