Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which thumb release? >

Which thumb release?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which thumb release?

Old 05-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which thumb release?

I'm switching from a pair of Fletchunter shorties to a thumb style release. I have shot the Tru Ball Pro Diamond release and loved it. I still would like to shoot the Tru Fire 3d 4 finger release. If any of you have shot either of these or have any input on them would you please let me know which one you like or dislike. I would appreciate all positives and negatives. If it matters, I shoot with a loop on my string. I have no intention of shooting a back tension release so they are out. Anyway please let me and all others know what your opinions are. Thanks to all!!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which thumb release?

Any of the Truball thimb releases are good but get one with the Talon head not the caliper.

Another good one is the Carter Ember it is new from them this year, my shooting partner has one and let me test it all I can say is very impressive

Another one I like is the Magteck thumb release but I am not sure if Ken has anyone to make them now.
They dont have any springs in the but magnets instead which gives you that surprise release cause you just dont know when the magnets are going to break over.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aussie is right... By the way the Tru Fire 3D four finger has too much travel. Go with the Tru Ball there is no
comparison.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I appreciate the info but does anybody else have anything to say? I'm looking at getting the TRU Ball Pro Diamond Extreme. It seems to be the one of choice between the two I have been looking at. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a talon and a caliper head? Thanks cmon I need some more info.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 PM

I really like my chappy boss. I don't shoot it that much but it really helped with my accuracy and i'm more relaxed when i shoot it compared to my trigger style.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another good one is the Carter Ember it is new from them this year, my shooting partner has one and let me test it all I can say is very impressive
Yeah that's true if your 5'5" with little hands........Seriously my next door neighbor just got this release and it feels sooo tiny. Very nice and crisp but man definitely not for bigger hands.

Stone,
Seriously have you loked at the line of Carter releases? I might be the lone vote against the Truball releases. I just didn't like the feel of any of them. They work great with a nice crisp no travel trigger but they just feel like a hunk of metal and very mechanical to me and I can never get comfortable holding one.
I have yet to feel a Carter release that didn't feel like an extension of your hand (provided you pick the right one for your hand size of course)
They are just so much more comfortable and ergonomic that they almost feel "Soft" to the touch when shooting them.

These puppies are pricey so I would recommend trying a bunch from both companies and find the one that talks to you.........also give a look at the new Stan SuperX thumb triggers. They have a an adjustable swiveling trigger barrel to precisely fit your hand size and grip style. I haven't shot one beyond test firing it on one of those hand held training tools but it might just be my next release.

My advice is don't limit yourself to 2 choices with a bias to one brand or model.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a release fetish, and have shot almost all mentioned and owned most as well. I went back to the TRU Ball Ultra Xtreme I shot last season when I swore off my release addiction a few months ago and sold them all. This is now the only thumb trigger I own. I do feel that the Ultra Xtreme w/ talon head is the best of the TRU Ball lineup, and that they can't be written off until this release is shot.

The Stan super x was also nice and I happened to shoot my best 5 spot target ever with one, however there were some considerable problems with the early production models. I don't know if dougie at their hq's has solved all the problems, but I know there were plans to resolve these and that they do have very good customer service. Once the necessary changes have been done, I think the Super X will be a great release as well. They are pricy though w/ a msrp of around $180.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same questions that Stone had about releases and which one was good and what the difference was between a talon head and a caliper head, etc. I had asked Rick James about his opinion and he told me to go with the Ultra Extreme by Tru Ball. I really like the release and have been extremely happy with it. This release is a little on the pricey side ($180), however, I was able to get it off of ebay, new in package and never shot, for $95.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:51 AM

I picked up the Truefire 3D hunter this spring and love it so far.
I was use to the wrist strap trigger type releases and still like them.

The 3D has some travel but that's adjustable. You can do some back tension with it or squeeze it off too. I can't compare the other thumb styles releases for you. I am not familiar enough with them. I like the way the head swivels on the 3D hunter so it doesn't twist/pinch the string or loop on release. The price is right for me and not the tripple digit priceyreleases. IMHO you will use it.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Well I ended up buying the TRU Ball Pro Diamond Extreme. I've shot it about a week now and I gotta say, I love it!!! It definetely changed my anchor point on my face and on my hand, but now that I made all the adjustments, I'm loving it. I was punching the trigger on my fletchunter shorty (target panic I guess some would call it) and now I'm smooth with the ol thumb. I shoot it of a braided loop and with the head swivel on the release, there's no torque at all on the string. So I must say that I appreciate all the input on this post.

Quick Reply: Which thumb release?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.