Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hoyt Ultramag vs. Renegade Alpha 1 >

Hoyt Ultramag vs. Renegade Alpha 1

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hoyt Ultramag vs. Renegade Alpha 1

Old 05-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hoyt Ultramag vs. Renegade Alpha 1

Good to be back guys. Anyway, I'm very much considering a trade tomorrow on what sounds like a great deal on a used either 2004 or 2005 Hoyt Ultramag. $250 with sights. Is that pretty good, assuming it's in good shape? Also, my current weapon is a Renegade Alpha 1. I know these are TOTALLY different bows, but the Hoyt is definitely an upgrade based solely on pure head-to-head performance, is it not? And lastly, can anyone give me the retail on the Hoyt if you could still buy it new today or else what you paid if you bought one new a year or so back? Thanks...
Old 05-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hoyt Ultramag vs. Renegade Alpha 1

Selling your Alpha 1 ?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:24 AM

Well at $250 completely set up I don't think you are getting ripped off, but no one is doing you any favors either. It sounds a bit high to me for a used bow, then again I don't deal in used bows. The best thing to do is look at Archerytalk classifieds or Ebay and see if you can what others are going for used. These bows don't hold their value like the higher end bows do.

I looked at one when I got my Bowtech mighty might, as a mattter of fact I almost got one. I all but told the guy to ring it up, but I decided to shoot the MM just for the heck of it, and ened up getting it. I like my bowtech, but sometimes wish I would have went with the hoyt instead. I'm not sure which model was which, but I looked at an ultramag and ultrasport. They were between $350 and $400 bare. I still see them new sometimes in shops. I think there is a shop near me that has an ultrasport still.

Well I just did some looking and I saw some for sale for $300, so I guess 250 is not out of line. I know you couldn't find a new bow that is better for that kind of money.

Reflex makes a version of this bow as well I think. Basically as hoyt phases bows out they move them to the reflex line. I'm not sure if it uses the same limbs though. Might be closer to the ultrasport than the ultramag. I think that was the difference between the two, the ultramag had upgraded limbs. Now that I think about it I think I was going to get an ultrasport. I shot both bows though and was VERY impressed. I could not see where they could justify asking $800 for one of the other bows when the only real difference was the machined riser.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 05-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Hoyt Ultramag and love it. I get compliments on it's quietness and accuracy from other archers shooting a variety of brands. I shot everything before I bought it. IMO, it was the best bow for the money. At 64 lbs and 27", it shoots exactly 260 fps which is the limit for the 3d class I shoot. It's been a great hunting bow - taking a number of whitetails cleanly. I have absolutely no complaints and I am picky about my gear.

I am sometimes attracted by the hype of the new Hoyt Trykon and other brands but as soon as I shoot the Ultramag, I lose interest in 'trading up'.

My two cents. Check EBay for prices.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. excalibur, I'm going to the pro shop today and am going to see if I can actually organize a straight-up trade. Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure the retail on the Renegade is higher than this particular Hoyt's retail. It's not fully decked-out either, just sights, but I'd like to just transfer all my current stuff anyway. kwilson, did you by your Ultramag new? What did it set you back?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

Well I went ahead and did it. Straight-up trade. I shot the Hoyt and nothing jumped out at me except that it SEEMED faster at the same measurements than the Renegade, but it's been since last season that I shot the Alpha 1, so that's a rough judgement. What I'm really hoping to see when I can get my hands on a new target is some sweet accuracy. Either way though, I like it so far. Hope it's got reliability to match.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:10 PM

Congrats! I just traded mine for an UltraTec. That UltraMag is one very fine bow. They still make it, it's just in the Reflex line, the Highlander. It's getting great reviews as it should, it's one fine arrow thrower indeed. Enjoy that rascal, and show us some pics when you can. I want to see dead deer pics w/ it too!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

Oh, the pics will be comingThanks mobowhunter. By the way, did you ever get groupings close to the ones you are billboarding on that other thread with the mag?That's pretty nice by the way...
Old 05-27-2006, 11:24 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words! Yeah, it grouped that well too, well, if I executed properly. This UltraTec just fits me better. I shoot it quite a bit better, but I've also upgraded arrows from Easton Carbon Excel to A/C/C's, put on a good sight, and the bow is just better. That UltraMag is certainly capable of pulling off groups like that.

I bowkilled my first turkey w/ mine 2 years ago. What a blast!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, only concern I have: did the rubbery part of the grip on your Ultramag begin to peel off the riser at any time? I got this one like that and the guy at the pro shop said it was common with these bows. Don't know whether or not to believe that, but either way, I just superglued it back on right. Wonder if I should have just ripped it off? Do they still put the same thing on the new Reflex Highlander?

Quick Reply: Hoyt Ultramag vs. Renegade Alpha 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.