Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st. >

Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:51 AM

Default RE: Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st.

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

I tried them 2yrs ago on a friends advice. At 13yds the ST just stuck into the shoulder of a large 8-point. We found the broken arrow,only 2" went in. My friend agreed the muzzy's I normally use would have gone right on through. I'm sold on Muzzy!
A one time scenario that could have, and I'm sure has happened, with many other broadheads including muzzys. Your friend must be clarivoyant to make a statement like that. You either hit the scapula ot the large leg bone more than likely for that to happen, must've had the shakes pretty bad to not put it in the boiler room at thirteen yards. Sorry you didn't get your deer.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Dr. Andy, Im a die hard Muzzy fan and have shot them for over 10 years but I will be ADDING the Slick Tricks to the quiver this season. Ive had some Muzzy go thru bone and others that didnt. No two shots are ever the same. Even with Muzzys.

Jason
Old 05-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried them 2yrs ago on a friends advice. At 13yds the ST just stuck into the shoulder of a large 8-point. We found the broken arrow,only 2" went in. My friend agreed the muzzy's I normally use would have gone right on through.
I'mcurious how much kinetic energy your set-up has. You can figure kinetic energy by taking the arrow speed X arrow speed X arrow weight divided by 450240. Just curious if low kinetic energy had anything to do with the lack of penetration when you hit the big bones of the leg/shoulder!
Old 05-31-2006, 05:35 PM

[quote]My shots were not good, hit the aluminum support rod in a 3-D target on consecutive shots..

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like many other fanatics on this board, I've tried many fixed & expandables--and have always given an ear/eye to "5 Shot" field testing broadheads.
We all have our likes and dislikes and obviously we're all not the same.To each his own, with all due respect.
Nevertheless, I personally have had excellent results with the Slick Tricks heads. When I first started using themfour years ago I shot a moose @ 42 yardswith a Champion Mustang, 55 # DW, 27.5 DL generating a mere 338 fps &48 pounds kinetic energy. To my surprise, I got a complete pass thru, the moose dropped 46 yards from where it was hit and died in about 45 seconds.
Since then the Tricks have given me many more trophies, on bear, deer and hogs.
As for the sharpness of the blades, I'll say I've seen sharper blades--but my goal is to kill what I'm shooting at and if a braodhead can get this done, then I've accomplished what I've set out to do.
Shoot an animal with a pretty decent braodhead in the vitals, you'll take it home with ya--shoot an animal with a razor sharp blade on a bad shot--the razor blades ain't going to be worth nothing.
All said, I am a believer in the 'Tricks'--and I'll be standing in line to get the new 2006 version--even though I still have about 6-sets, brand new, still in the old square packaging .

Old 06-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Will the new blades work with the heads I currently have?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

55 # DW, 27.5 DL generating a mere 338 fps &48 pounds kinetic energy.

Something doesn't sounds right to me.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: ampahunter

Like many other fanatics on this board, I've tried many fixed & expandables--and have always given an ear/eye to "5 Shot" field testing broadheads.
We all have our likes and dislikes and obviously we're all not the same.To each his own, with all due respect.
Nevertheless, I personally have had excellent results with the Slick Tricks heads. When I first started using themfour years ago I shot a moose @ 42 yardswith a Champion Mustang, 55 # DW, 27.5 DL generating a mere 338 fps &48 pounds kinetic energy. To my surprise, I got a complete pass thru, the moose dropped 46 yards from where it was hit and died in about 45 seconds.
Since then the Tricks have given me many more trophies, on bear, deer and hogs.
As for the sharpness of the blades, I'll say I've seen sharper blades--but my goal is to kill what I'm shooting at and if a braodhead can get this done, then I've accomplished what I've set out to do.
Shoot an animal with a pretty decent braodhead in the vitals, you'll take it home with ya--shoot an animal with a razor sharp blade on a bad shot--the razor blades ain't going to be worth nothing.
All said, I am a believer in the 'Tricks'--and I'll be standing in line to get the new 2006 version--even though I still have about 6-sets, brand new, still in the old square packaging .
" a mere 338 fps" wow how fast do you shoot on a good day
Old 06-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

55 # DW, 27.5 DL generating a mere 338 fps &48 pounds kinetic energy.

Something doesn't sounds right to me.
I agree... [&:] Maybe it's actually 238 fps...

Old 06-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys--I stand corrected--that should have been a mere 238 fps, shooting a GT Hunter 3555, weighing 378 grains.
My mistake----certainly wouldn't be a 'mere' 338 fps--I can't even get that speed from my new Tribute, and backthen I was shooting a old Champion single cam Mustang, which I later switched for the ETS Scorpion.

Quick Reply: Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.