Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st. >

Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st.

These things are sweet. Anyone using them had any complaints?
http://www.slicktrick.net/images/100_0268.jpg
Old 05-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st.

Hopefully they'll put some sharper blades in them.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots and lots of threads about the Slick Tricks. Lots of people like them too. Yes, the blades aren't as sharp as most, but they are working on retooing the design of the blades (from what I've read and/or heard).

I have some Slick Tricks too and I took them apart and sharpened up the blades myself and they are great!

Old 05-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hopefully they'll put some sharper blades in them.
David, supposedly, the response below was posted by Gary of Slick Tricks on the Bowsite... Interesting reading.

Being a broadhead manufacturer is not as easy as it sounds. Ferrules are not a major problem, swiss screw machines can precisely turn them out. Blades, that is another thing.

It is natural to wonder why broadhead blades isn't easy to obtain, as you say, as your shaving blades. I could do that with no problem. Back in the late 60s if I recall, Schick blades were glued on heads. And then Satellite used basically the same thing in their early best selling replaceable heads. Thing is, razor blades are easy to make very sharp because of their thinness. Thin is inherently sharp. You probably somewhere down the line have cut yourself with a piece of paper. Thin. Problem is, as guys using the Schick blades, and guys using the Satellites with .010 blades, will testify, will break if you breathe on them, and you are left hitting a rib going in with, in effect, a fieldpoint actually going through the vitals. Not good.

What you want is a thick blade, and some designs allow you to do this, like a Trick, and some don't, that will not break on hard bone impact. And you want a bevel that is strong enough to keep the edge, but not too wide so it isn't sharp. As a bevel gets closer to a flat edge, a very wide "V", the harder it will be to get sharp, as a flat edge is inherently 100% dull. 3 blade heads that are sharpened on a flat surface, for instance, have durable bevels, but as guys will testify, are hard to get extremely sharp. And you want an edge with a good Rockwell so it doesn't dull hitting a rib going in. Heads that have a Rockwell of 45 sharpen easily, but by the same token, the softness also means they dull easily.

One thing the average guy doesn't know, is that the great majority of broadhead manufacturers, and that includes the best sellers, do not manufacture their blades themselves. The blades are outsourced to specialty blade companies who only make blades. Making razor sharp blades isn't easy. And shaving blade companies won't fool with archery quantities.

Furthermore, there are only a few blade companies out there. From what I gather, some blades are made in the US, but seems the great majority is made overseas.

Some companies fudge when asked about their blades, they say they get them from a company here in the US. Thats perfectly true, but what they don't tell you is that company has them manufactured overseas. That is true of archery products and everything else. I have seen posts on here about certain heads being made in the US, and the manufacturer keeping quiet about the truth.

But thats not condemning having something made overseas if need be, just think you should be straightup about it. If you can't get the quality you want here then you gotta do what you gotta do to produce a product that customers approve of.

And, there is the matter of price. Anybody can produce a broadhead with the greatest blade you ever saw. For $60 for 3. Problem is, the average working heroes figure they will either lose the head, or hit a good rock, and thats $20 shot. Pardon the pun. And, they figure they will take less animals since they would always be angling for a shot where there aren't any rocks behind the animal.

I began with having my blades made overseas like everybody else, wasn't satisfied with the sharpness, and 2-3 years ago found a company here in the states that sent some approved samples. Tricks have been made in the US since then. But, now I am not getting as consistent sharpness as I should, and am again working on new manufacturing.

So, I guess I am saying its not as easy as it sounds. I am tearing my hair out trying to get new blade manufacturing perfected, and as it always seems, no matter what the plan, running late getting it right. Looks like new blades are gonna take longer to get out, already should have been done. But I am insisting on doing everything I can to make these perfectly sharp and consistent. Say a prayer for me. Frustrated at the delay in getting them, don't know whether to shoot myself or go bowling. And I HATE bowling. Don't know if any of that makes sense, by now also lost what, if any, mind I had.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Dominant Buck

It might not be easy...... but some do it and produce blades that hold up and kill.Their blade sharpness is the reason I haven't tried them. When they come up with a sharp blade I'll give them a try. Until then, I'll stick with what I have that has only had one blade chip in dozens of kills. Like they say, "if it ain't broke... don't fix it". From his response I take it they realizetheirs isbroke and they're trying to fix it.[8D]
Old 05-27-2006, 06:24 AM

sounds like a guy being candid, and i truly appreciate that.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

It might not be easy...... but some do it and produce blades that hold up and kill.Their blade sharpness is the reason I haven't tried them. When they come up with a sharp blade I'll give them a try. Until then, I'll stick with what I have that has only had one blade chip in dozens of kills. Like they say, "if it ain't broke... don't fix it". From his response I take it they realizetheirs isbroke and they're trying to fix it.[8D]
Ditto!

sounds like a guy being candid, and i truly appreciate that.
I agree and so do i!

I've read tons of post on the tricks with lots positives and also some negatives. All the negatives have been about the dullness of the blades.
I've been using the same broadhead for a very long time with no problems but i'd be lying if i didn't say that i've been wanting to try the tricks for a while now but because of the blade sharpness issue i haven't. I don't want to buy new broadheads and then have to sharpen them because i'll admit, i'm not very good in that area.The tricks look like an awesome head no doubt and i'll definately be giving them a try when they get the blade sharpness issueworked out.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

He has no choice but to be candid. I don't know if it's being candid or owning UP. The dullness of his blades hasn't been a secret. In fact, it's been the main reason many people haven't bought into the "Slick Trick Hype". Their PR team did a great job getting thousands to declare it the ultimate broadhead when it fact it's just another like so many. I'm glad to see they're trying to correct it.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:55 PM

Actually Davidmil, the guy who asked the question had never used a Trick. He was asking because the popular brand he used wasn't as sharp as he would like, and wondered why sharpness is a challenge for many companies. He simply noted that I shoot straight and am known to be candid, and politely asked me for some enlightenment on the broadhead industry, which I attempted to provide.

I certainly had a choice not to respond at all.

And if you read posts many guys have been pleased with the sharpness, but, as you note, some haven't. Thats why I am working on sharpness consistency.

I do appreciate your praise of the PR team. That would be me. LOL
And all I do is waste a little time on forums.

And its not because of the media blitz, had 3 or 4 ads out last year, I think the first since I began the "super short" revolution in 2000. For a head thats just another broadhead the other manufacturers seem to have taken notice with the heads that followed Tricks.

I do enjoy the field reports guys are nice enough to share. Heres one you might find interesting.

Jason Peterson here, owner of Peterson Outdoors and Executive producer of Hunting Canada and Beyond TV and DVD series. I am sold on your product. Currently I have another Broadhead company on board with a product only sponsorship of the show. However one of my pro-staffers came to Bear camp last week with your 100 gr heads, 2 hours later he killed a 300+ lb brown phase black bear and your head passed through the off shoulder. Simply amazing, I have guided bear hunters and have hunted them myself for 18+ years and have not seen a pass-through on the shoulder of that big of a bear. We hunt and will be hunting and filming everything from Moose to coyotes for this upcoming season of Hunting Canada and Beyond and would like to know if you would be interested in becoming a sponsor of the show?? You have a great product and I truly hope to work with you in the future."

I have on occasion noted that Tricks were a favorite of Bear hunters up north. Usually don't take the time to specifically respond, but I have with that one in case there were doubters.

I do find your "Slick Trick Hype" comment interesting. Considering they have almost no promotion, would wonder what you attribute that to? I can assure you it isn't my good looks.

As the guy who asked the question noted, consistent sharpness is wrestled with by other broadhead companies.

But,performance levels because of design limitationscan't be overcome.On the other hand,blade manufacturing, with enough work, can be. And I assure you I am determined to have consistent sharpness to match the Trick design before season.

Thanks for listening, carry on.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:29 PM

I tried the heads and had 2 ferrules break back to back..... My shots were not good, hit the aluminum support rod in a 3-D target on consecutive shots.. In each case the ferrule snapped in half.... That was enough for me not to try them again......

Quick Reply: Slick-Tricks - Retooling Until June 1st.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.