Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Barn Burner Question Of The Week >

Barn Burner Question Of The Week

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Barn Burner Question Of The Week

Old 05-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Barn Burner Question Of The Week

Some people claim rattln' and calling don't work either...... but most of us know better than that..... right???
Well it all depends on your buck to doe ratio(IMO) Here in MI it is way to high. So when a big buckhears rattling, why should he go over there and see what is going on. There are plenty of doe's right here for him. Which is why rattling, calling and scents tend not to work on mature deer here in MI(notice the word mature and tend). In an area with a good buck to doe ratio I may use scents and calls. It all depends on the area where you hunt. The buck to doe ratio is key(IMO) on using scents and calls for mature deer.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried em all and have had zero success with scents and attractants. Like buckeye said, its probably my own fault due to setup or whatever but I understand my limitations and choose to not waste the money anymore.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I rarely use any scents at all any more BUT I have with limited success but success nontheless. It's my opinion that scents used incorrectly will spook more game than it will lure so I try to go as scentless as possible, rarely using scents but occassionally I'll experiment even more.

That being said, my success's were with Tinks 69 and Bob Kirschners Curiosity.

The Tink's success was with a mock scrape I made on a Monday morning. I proceeded to hunt over the scrape that morning and then left it alone Tuesday and hunted else where. Wednesday morning I returned and had just locked my climber on the tree, walked over and refreshed the scent with more Tinks 69 and walked back to the treestand. While I was preparing to climb the tree I heard the leaves crunching only to turn and watch a huge 6 point run into the mock scrape from down wind. He stuck his nose in the scrape, looked at me and then bolted. It happened fast.

Only one other success using Tinks. I was creating a drag line to my stand on my way to an evening haunt. I was halfway to my stand location when I heard something behind me. I turned to watch a really respectable buck trailing my exact trail. He followed it for about 30 yards when he looked up and saw me standing there. Foiled hunt but success with a scent.

Other than the buck I shot in '04 for the contest which stood around and followed/checked out my trail where I walked across the field with Kirschners Curiosity on my boots, I have no other success stories. The rest of my stories would recommend not using scents. I've watched deer turn inside out to flee an area I had scent out so with limited success and more deer leaving then coming, I continue to only experiment with scents and never rely on them.

Rickmur brought up a great point, the grunt call will work more times than scents will but coupled they can be very deadly. And remember the study using buck, doe, human urines with new car smell. Buck urines worked more frequently than "doe" urines. Don't pay the money for "due estrous" scents and use buck or curiosity scents IF your going to use them.

The only scent I experimented with lately was Bob Kirschners Curiosity.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although i havent had much luck myself, i have had a hunting partner have a nice 8 point and a 7 point come in to some sent wicks that he set out. He said that they came in on a string right to them from down wind. Another hunting aquaintence used one of Kirshners scents, i think it was Dominant Buck or something like that, and had deer all over him, i tried it and didnt see squat, so who knows.

Ido believe that Rattling, calling and scents are much more effective where thereis a more even buck to doe ratio.IMO with more does around, the bucks dont have tocompete as much and you dont seeas much "rutting" activity as were there ratio is better, or atleast in NJ that is what ihave seen.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

I've had it work 2 times out of 100's..... First time was a Myles Keller gel... The buck crossed the scent trail I laid about 100yds down from me.. He did a 90 degree turn and nose to the ground all the way to 18yds, where he met his maker.....

The other time was similar, using Mrs Doe Pee.... Buck hit the wind trail way out and came in on a rope.....

It can work, but very sporatically is my experiences.....
If that had happened to me I would be a BELIEVER. Even if it only works one out of a hundred times then it was worth it in my book. I, like others have had mixed results...same with grunt calls. But when they do work it sure is great.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Site Buck Guru

I use one scent while hunting in November, Pete Rickards Indian Buck Lure. I do not use it as an attractant, I use it to stop deer. I stop them with their head facing away from me for a great shot oppertunity. The scent itself is a curiosity scent. Does do not like it very much, but all bucks seem to have to check it out. This method has worked well for me over the years.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried just about everything out there from Wildlife Reserach to Tink's 69 but last season I tried BowHunter's Set-up it's a spray that you can use on tree's & trail's, leaves even on your boot's to make a sent trial right to your stand & it really works .
The deer smell it & go crazy they'll lick it & chew on it I even had one deer roll on the ground where I sprayed alot of it.
I got this stuff at Cabela's for about $10.00 a bottle call me a sucker if you want it won't bother me I just know it worked.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well it all depends on your buck to doe ratio(IMO) Here in MI it is way to high. So when a big buckhears rattling, why should he go over there and see what is going on. There are plenty of doe's right here for him. Which is why rattling, calling and scents tend not to work on mature deer here in MI(notice the word mature and tend). In an area with a good buck to doe ratio I may use scents and calls. It all depends on the area where you hunt. The buck to doe ratio is key(IMO) on using scents and calls for mature deer.

I would also file this under the improper application of tactics/timing. Rattling serves much more importance in the whitetail's world then just the 3 week rut period. You must understand the logistics of it to properly apply the tactic successfuly. If I and countless others canrattle bucks in across the border overin PAyou can do it in MI for certain JMO. I don't rattle all that often either, just a few hunts per week if I feel the conditions call for it.

There is a time and place for it (rattling)just like the scents. I believe that the herd can be educated rather quickly by over rattling though,so I am a believer that less is more most times inmy situation. However, they have both worked for me very well at times in the past. Hopefully again in the future as well.

I do however consistently use calls, and have had much success with them. Namely: TrueTalker - Primos cans and the MAD Grunt, Snort, Wheeze combo.
[/align]
Old 05-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would also file this under the improper application of tactics/timing. Rattling serves much more importance in the whitetail's world then just the 3 week rut period. You must understand the logistics of it to properly apply the tactic successfuly. If I and countless others canrattle bucks in across the border overin PAyou can do it in MI for certain JMO. I don't rattle all that often either, just a few hunts per week if I feel the conditions call for it.

There is a time and place for it (rattling)just like the scents. I believe that the herd can be educated rather quickly by over rattling though,so I am a believer that less is more most times inmy situation. However, they have both worked for me very well at times in the past. Hopefully again in the future as well.

I do however consistently use calls, and have had much success with them. Namely: TrueTalker - Primos cans and the MAD Grunt, Snort, Wheeze combo.

Are we talking mature deer 3 1/2 and older or1 1/2 deer. I can rattle, call, and use scents on 1 1/2 year olds all day. Get a 3 1/2& upbuck in MI or PA, andthe deer has been shot at once(at least) and called too numerous times. He is just not going tofall for it 90% time. If he is hot enough hemight make a mistake. Two different type of mature deer, one's live in low pressure areas, and those live in high pressure area's. They both take different tatics. I think the stat in MI is 90% of bucks and does kills are
1 1/2 and younger. They are just not as smart yet, but thet learn quick!!

Another big issue in high pressure area's is other hunters educating the deer. I think every bowhunter in MI has the Can, Tinks 69,anda TrueTalker. I have just learned not using them and being very stealthy has really paid of the last 10 years. If I hunted in IA, Ill, Oh or KA I may use different tatics. If it works for you have at it, I would love to be able to call and use scents, but I think it hurts more than it helps me.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Never noticed a difference with scents. I quit using them years ago.

Quick Reply: Barn Burner Question Of The Week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.