HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Barn Burner Question Of The Week (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/141704-barn-burner-question-week.html)

LouisianaTomkat 05-05-2006 08:35 PM

Barn Burner Question Of The Week

What, if any, Deer attractant scents, do you "Know" have worked for you. I want brand names, types of lures, and makers names. Thought this would make a heck of a post for Friday night. So get out the popcorn and let's hear it. LT

MOTOWNHONKEY 05-05-2006 08:43 PM

RE: Barn Burner Question Of The Week

Its a scent called Paitence. The maker of the brand is called Determined. I have been using it for years with alot of success. Give it a try I know it can work for you too.

hardcorehunter 05-05-2006 08:48 PM

I have quit buying deer scents and have found it all to be a waste of money.Scouting and proper stand placement along with hunting the wind and being patient are the keys to deer hunting successfully.

Xtec Shooter 05-05-2006 08:57 PM

I pee on my ankles and drag my butt on the ground all the way to the stand. LOL

I have used a ton of what's out there...not really any special, expensive product that you find on the internet and I haven't seen any positive or negative effect from using them. One day they will work and then I will be a firm believer in them! ha, ha

scmtnhnter 05-06-2006 01:31 AM

i have used wildlife research trails end with great success and another brand i cant find nomore .

buckeye 05-06-2006 04:47 AM

I use Mrs Doe Pee's scrape formula to make my mock scrapes. I actually have video footage of a couple bucks hitting my mock scrapes taken from my stand.

Anyone who says scents do not work is only assuming, because at times they really do work.

I will say however, out of the many timesI have used scents very few times I think it has aided me.

It is just a very small part of the puzzle IMO.

Motown's advice is the best though. It'll never fail.

Rickmur 05-06-2006 05:44 AM

I havn't used scents in so many years I can't remember how long long it's been, bout 15years or so at least but when I did, I used Tinks 69 and I had good results with it but then the grunt tub came into play and I just stopped useing scents.

davidmil 05-06-2006 11:02 AM

YUP, the best thing you can use is "Hunt the wind". That's it. If it's wrong, just move or go home. Scouting, patience and the wind will bring them in everytime. All the rest of that stuff is pure fluff. I say that it probably does as much harm as good. I've tried it all. I further say MOST deer that people think came to something were coming that way anyway. Why does it surprise people if a deer comes in when they do all the scouting, figure out the patterns and carefully hang their stands. That's why we do it. If you've done it right you should expect a deer to come by, especially with the huge herds we have today. 30 years ago the scouting etc was even more critical. Attractants, like REAL apples and things like that can help, but all that stuff in a bottle is just that...>>STUFF.

C-WOODS-SHOOT 05-06-2006 12:41 PM

Doe tarsal glands. I read an article in a magazine last summer about using them during the rut and decided to try it. I shot a doe Nov. 9th and removed the glands and put them in a refrigerator. On Nov. 13th Ihung them in a tree 15 yards from my stand and harvested a small 8-point. He came in with his nose in the air, looking for that doe. I retreived the glands and put them in the freezer this time when I got home. On Nov. 17th I set them out again. A nice 8-point followed a doe towards my stand but was going to be in an bad place for a shot. He smelled the glands and momentarily stopped trailing the doe to check out the other scent and offered a 12 yard shot. He is now hanging on my wall.
As far as the store bought scents go, I haven't used them for years due to lack of results. I'll definatelygive the tarsal glands another shot next year.

davidmil 05-06-2006 12:50 PM

C-Woods: I've used them too and also pee bladders from recently killed deer. The only thing you have to watch out for with Pee is it starts to break down and may have an adverse effect within hours. I would suspect that tarsal glands will also. Refrigeration will of course extent their usefullness, but it's not unlimited.