Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Walking In The Woods >

Walking In The Woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Walking In The Woods

Old 05-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Walking In The Woods

... Your walking to your deer stand in themiddle of the woodson a cold november morning. The hard ground is filled with dry crunchyleaves on top of it and it seems that every step you take is a loud one. You can already hear deer running out of the other side of the woods because of your intrusion. By the time you get to your stand you feel you have messed up the rest of your hunting day...
This scenario seems to happen to methe majority of the timesI try to walk to my treestand in the middle of the woods. So my question to you guys is how do you walk silently to your treestand in such load conditions.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Walking In The Woods

Ive heard of guys raking out a trail to their stands. Not all the way but like the last 100-200 yards. Ive never done it.

Jason
Old 05-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

usually get out really really really early before the deer wake up and jus take it nice and slow
Old 05-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

Just go more like an animal does. Animals walk, pause for a while, then take a few more steps. Humans bust through the woods and go in a straight line never pausing and that is not a normal sound in the woods. Don't be in such a hurry and move like an animal and you won't spook everything.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't use a flashlight or at least use one of those red ones and walk gingerly. Try to get set up in total darkness or use a headband with a red light.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

I take the approach of using a steel rack to clear a nice path to my stand and using a pair of nippers to cut anything that would catch on my clothes on the way in. I think the key is to do it early enough in the year, so the woods is back to normal well before your season rolls around. I have bumped deer numerous times, but that's the way it is sometimes and nothing you can really do about it.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Just go more like an animal does. Animals walk, pause for a while, then take a few more steps. Humans bust thruogh the woods and go in a straight line never pausing and that is not a normal sound in the woods. Don't be in such a hurry and move like an animal and you won't spook everything.
This is what I try to do and get in there early. Also during the rut, should you see does out of your range with a buck following hard on their trail move to that trail. The time it takes to move and the noise you make will be minimal. If you dont chances are you will just watch deer the rest of the day move on that trail rather then shoot anything.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

If you're running deer out everytime you walk in, I'd find a new route. I'd also move the stand or leave it for a week or so. Everytime in the deer learn more about their pursuers. If something is NOT right you have to change because the deer sure will. It's a never ending story on this sight. People are always talking of walking to their favorite stand day after day. There are very few places that can handle that pressure. You have to have multiple locations and be ready to abandon them all, at least for a while, if something like this happens. People continue to do it and then wonder why they aren't killing deer or seeing anything other than dinks and does. I have raked, kicked, marked, picked paths as far as 200 yards to a particular AREA. I generally try to have 3 or 4 great trees in a hot spot. I change everytime in.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Just go more like an animal does. Animals walk, pause for a while, then take a few more steps. Humans bust through the woods and go in a straight line never pausing and that is not a normal sound in the woods. Don't be in such a hurry and move like an animal and you won't spook everything.
And also, go way early!
Old 05-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice. Raking up the leaves for a pathsounds like a good idea. This coming season i will be sure to get in the woods VEARY early and try to walk like an animal. I wonder what kind of animal i should be

Quick Reply: Walking In The Woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.