Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Monster Bucks XIV >

Monster Bucks XIV

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Monster Bucks XIV

Old 05-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Monster Bucks XIV

Not me in the picture, and I didn't take the picture. At least it was taken from the deer's perspective which is better than I can say for 99% of the advertising pic's published from other camo manufacturers. The purpose of the picture was to show that the human outline is broken up better than when wearing "blob" stuff.

I get winded dozens of times in a season. Being on the move constantly, hunting new areas every-year, I'm not ashamed to say I get winded often. Also, when I say "winded", I'm also talking about deer catching my track, which happens all the time. I hunt new stands almost every-single-hunt, so it's impossible to know what the deer will do everytime.

Lone Wolf Climber, finally, we can agree on something! he he he.... Shoot straight eh!

Sorry to get off-topic with this. Sometimes my opinions just get the best of me!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Don't listen to The Lone Wolf, he hardly steps foot in the woods. Just kidding Todd. If anyone here knows what works he does. He hunts more in one season than most of us do in 10 seasons.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Bowtech. Youve got that right he hunted everyday for like 43 or 46 days straight before killing the shreader. Todd is one of the most anal hunters I know(I mean that with respect) He takes very few short cuts and analizes everything he uses. He is one heck of a die hard whitetail freak and an all around great guy. Not many guys will pull up stakes and move their home and business to IA just to hunt whitetails. Im so lucky to have Todd as a buddy. Man is that sappy or what?

Jason
Old 05-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ghemry

I guessI dont quite understand where the 12 P&Ys play into all this but ok.
How many Big Deer have you shot in your lesser know brand? Since realtree issub standard, you should be well ahead of me in my realtree camo.

Check out what Chuck Adams has to say about this subject: http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/interviews/chuckadams/windowsmedia/VQ2.wma
Keep in mind he has used Buffalo Plaid before as hiscamo too.

I've heard it said that most patterns are designed to look good at 16", the average arm length. I don't know if this is just cynisism or a true statement but it does seem to have a ring of truth to it.

Ghemry, your statement about 12 P&Y comes across as arrogant and assumes several things and leaves out several things. I would say the biggest factor in your success is where you hunt! You stand less a chance of shooting 1 P&Y if you're not in an area that has a good population of that size deer. I'm not detracting from your accomplishments but it's not the best benchmark for comparison of hunting skills and methods. Those same skills and methods (and camo) may not produce more than a few 125" class deer in another location with a lesser quality population.

Oh, and to veer back on topic. Here's what Chuck had to say about videos: http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/interviews/chuckadams/windowsmedia/VQ4.wma
He echos my sentiment of hunting voyarism.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Talondale

ORIGINAL: ghemry

I guessI dont quite understand where the 12 P&Ys play into all this but ok.
How many Big Deer have you shot in your lesser know brand? Since realtree issub standard, you should be well ahead of me in my realtree camo.

Check out what Chuck Adams has to say about this subject: http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/interviews/chuckadams/windowsmedia/VQ2.wma
Keep in mind he has used Buffalo Plaid before as hiscamo too.

I've heard it said that most patterns are designed to look good at 16", the average arm length. I don't know if this is just cynisism or a true statement but it does seem to have a ring of truth to it.

Ghemry, your statement about 12 P&Y comes across as arrogant and assumes several things and leaves out several things. I would say the biggest factor in your success is where you hunt! You stand less a chance of shooting 1 P&Y if you're not in an area that has a good population of that size deer. I'm not detracting from your accomplishments but it's not the best benchmark for comparison of hunting skills and methods. Those same skills and methods (and camo) may not produce more than a few 125" class deer in another location with a lesser quality population.

Oh, and to veer back on topic. Here's what Chuck had to say about videos: http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/interviews/chuckadams/windowsmedia/VQ4.wma
He echos my sentiment of hunting voyarism.

The comment was only made because it was suggested I have sub standards for camo. Yes it is were I hunt and have stated that before. It is funny my Dad and both my uncles have 16 mores years of hunting the same farm as me(Gun hunting only). The three have 2 P & Y combined, I am not arrogant just confident in my equipment and skill. I would have never made the comment, but the comment about "someof usneed a higher standard" kind set me off. I hunt in MI, the deer I am most proud of is the 8 point I shot on public land. He is not P&Y, but I really had to work hard for him.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't figure you actually were arrogant but the statement seemed invalid as a benchmark for backing your supposition. Now if you were willing to hunt alternating years with the different camo and then see which one you were most successful with then that may be more of a scientifically valid basis. LOL
Old 05-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just so I don't miss out on The Lone Wolf love fest - I have to give Mr. Pringlenutz some props. He is a very dedicated hunter and sticks to his guns about his beliefs. Of course not all of us buy into his "alternative" lifestyle but hey, to each his own.

Oh and just in case anyone cares - Bill Winke tells the story of the buck he shoots in this particular video (Monster Bucks XIV) here:

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjourn...l.aspx?nID=177
Old 05-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Talondale

I didn't figure you actually were arrogant but the statement seemed invalid as a benchmark for backing your supposition. Now if you were willing to hunt alternating years with the different camo and then see which one you were most successful with then that may be more of a scientifically valid basis. LOL
Yes I know, after the comment I stated such. I just get peeved when blanket statments are made about products. I am sure these guys believe in what they use, and so do I. To state MO and RT suck, well it is just not an accurate comment. If said, "Camo just will not work where I hunt" is one we all understand!.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Well I guess I shouldnt have said they suck but the more I see these patterns in the woods next to other patterns I see a major differance. Yesterday I spent the day with a buddy up by Ludington,MI filming him trying to take a turkey with a bow and to start off alot of the videoI tried to film him in his setup and at some pointsI had a real hard time finding him. He just reciently switched to Preditor Camo and man did he ever blend in. He got cought in an open field with just a small amount of grass and weeds around him at knee level and was able to get a shot off w/o a blind at a strutting bird 30 yards away and the Tom never saw him. He missed though. Anyways I just seem to look like a big black blob compaired to his pattern. Im sweitching forsure since this experiance yesterday. He blended in soooo sweet!!!! Today Im back in GR and will be looking for someone who sells Preditor or atleast looking online.

jason
Old 05-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, this thread got off track in a hurry...but since Justin let it go I guess I have to as well.

...wish I could hunt for 40-some days straight.

I must say that there must be something to the modern camos...(nothing against Predator or ASAT)...as I have taken plenty of deer while wearing them. As others have stated though there is more to it than just the pattern itself though I think all camo manufacturers would like us to believe otherwise.

Quick Reply: Monster Bucks XIV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.