Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I feel like giving up bowhunting >

I feel like giving up bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I feel like giving up bowhunting

Old 05-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I feel like giving up bowhunting

I cant guarantee its not the broadheads, but I can tell you thousands of people shoot Thunderheads with no problems. I would also say take it to your local pro shop. I would bet its more the bow tune up than the arrows or broadheads.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:09 AM

you need to study archery to understand your problem, too many people want to pick up a bow and go hunting without knowing anything about how a bow works. i'm no expert but i read all i can find about bow tuning and can now tune my bow to shoot bhs as well as my fps.

for a start, download the easton tuning guide from there website www.eastonarchery.com and read about tuning (read the whole thing). also do a search on this forum and read about walk back tuning and bare shaft tuning. do a little homework and you won't need to go to a bow shop.
Insatiable
Old 05-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others, sounds like a tuning issue. As for the Thunderheads, i've been shooting them for 16yrs and i've never had a problem what so ever getting them to tune with any set-up i've used. I've never tried another broadhead because i've simply had no reason to switch from the Thunderheads. They impact with my field points and fly like darts. I think any broadhead will shoot with accuracy with a properly tuned bow. Like i said, it sounds like a minor tuning issueprobably something simple that maybe you've overlooked. Find yourself a bow shop with some knowledgeable people and see if they can help you out. I know it's gets frustrating at times because it has for me, but don't give up!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to spend as much time trying to get broadheads to fly correctly as I did actually practicing. I've now been shooting Jakhammers (mech's) for 5 years, and can actually count the number of times I've had to tune each of my bows, once.... Set it up, papertune, do some bareshaft, a few trial shots with someone watching, and then smoke out to 50 yards without doing anything else! If that's not common sense, I'm not sure what is????

Also, I've recovered every-single-deer I've ever shot with a mech head. Wish I could say the same thing with fixed heads!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have the same problem and tuning the arrow cured it. I had to heat the glue holding the head and turned it to match the fletchings. Problem solved. Hope it helps
Old 05-01-2006, 02:05 PM

First thing I would do is have someone who knows bows look at your setup and make sure it is tuned correctly...........then have them watch you shoot and see if they pick up on anything. If you shoot a release then finger issues shouldn't be a problem but you could be anchoring randomly without even knowing. I have a 3 spot anchor that I go through on every shot to be sure I am always lined up as close to the same way as possible each time I shoot. You might be surprised to find out that you may be "peaking" at your shots because the random flight is in your brain and you are worried about it..........you could also be doing something totally weird that only someone else may spot. My buddy was ALL messed up last year and I watched him shoot for a little while and realized he was touching the string to his nose in a different spot on almost every shot..........once he regained his anchor process he was all set.

If everything else checks out (including arrow spine) then by all means just change broadheads and see what happens. If you put on another good fixed head and they fly great then just go with them and don't worry about the Thunderheads...........maybe just the mental switch will be enough.

I shoot Magnus Stingers and they fly like darts and kill everything I shoot them at............give them a try.

What do your arrows look like when they fly?? You should have perfectly straight laser beam flight..........that is what I tune for. Any wobble, fishtail, corkscrew, or some combo of all of them means your arrows are coming off that bow offline...........get them shooting straight as an arrow (pun intended) and they will hit in the same spot.

Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:06 PM

If that makes you want to quit wait till you get the bow shooting perfectly and then go hunting and miss a deer or see plenty of deer but they're all too far. All part of bowhunting, as is TUNING YOUR BOW. Start there and don't give up so easily. I hate to sound cliche but "quitters never win and winners never quit." (Oh my God that was cheesy)
Old 05-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

turtleshell, I see what you mean but i just had to blow off some steam. I have missed deer before but the reason the frustrated me so much is because I just had my bow tuned at a local proshop and they watched me shoot and they said everything looks excellent, i gave them a call today and they said to bring my bow back in with my broadheads and they'llfix it tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Im sure they will get you straight and dont leave until they find out weather the problem is your rig or you. Doesnt sound like a clearance issue since you got it paper tuned and shooting bullet hole. You wouldnt be able to do that with fletching problems. Let us know what you find.

jason
Old 05-01-2006, 09:33 PM

Make sure you're there while they work on your bow.

Pay close attention to what they do and ask lots of questions even if they seem irritated by them. The more you can learn while you're there the fewer times you'll have to take the bow back to them.

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: I feel like giving up bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.