Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which bowhunt means the most? >

Which bowhunt means the most?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which bowhunt means the most?

Old 04-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which bowhunt means the most?

I am sure we allhave many bowhunts that mean a lot, but lets hear it, which bowhunt from the pasthas meant the most to you? (That special hunt that you put above the rest) Tell us about it and add some photos if you have them!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which bowhunt means the most?

A great question from my good friend Troy!
As you have aluded they are all meaningful and special so choosing one shouldn't take away the significance of all the others.
There are two that come to mind for me.My first bow kill in my second season of archery hunting,an eight pointer that I had seen exactly one week before from the same stand,I new that he was bedded close by,I purposely circled the area to come in to my stand from quite a distance,I didn't want the wind to have any chance of blowing my scent in to his bedding area,he came out just like clock work the same time as the week before but this time about ten yards closer.I shot him at 37 yards,he went about thirty yards and crashed.With the exception of my Wedding day and the birth of my daughter I have never been happier!
The second one ties in to the first for me.I had a mentor and a friend who was an exceptional hunter (by practically everyone considered to be by far the best in our area)after shooting that buck,I couldn't get it to his house quickly enough,I was so proud.He was so pleased for me! I asked him how his season was going and I had all I could do to get him to admit that he had shot a beautiful eight pointer,my buck was a nice deer but his was exceptional,I had to practically beg him to see it,he didn't want to steal my thunder.This man "was" the best hunter and woodsman that I have ever known and as rugged as they come!
This past september my above mentioned friend died in a truck accident while hunting Elk in Idaho,he had arrowed a 5x5 earlier in the day and had it quartered in the back of a pick up truck that he was driving.While driving he got his tires in loose gravel on the side of the road and ended up going over an embankment,he died as a result of the injuries suffered in the accident.My sadness was overwhelming,Stan was larger than life to me,I couldn't imagine any thing being tough enough to kill him!
In our area killing a bear with a bow seems to be representative of joining an elite rank of bowhunter,Stan had killed three or four over the years,and I supposed if he was so inclined he could of killed many more.Well this fall I arrowed the first bear I have ever taken,and some how I can't help but think that Stanley in some way had something to do with it,almost like it was his gift to me.In my mind the bear will always be Stanley's bear.(I will get pictures posted of the rug)
Just as an eerie aside.The morning of Stanley's memorial service I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen from my house making a scrape.In the 12 years that my family has been in our home I have never seen a buck that big from the house or seen one make a scrape from the house.It gave me chills!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any hunt that is "worked" for! Do-it-yourself, and the rewards are great!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good topic. To make a LONG story short my first bowkilled bucks were taken on a good friendsfarm. One of the bucks was a nice 100 class ten point that is still on my wall. The reason that this one comes to mind is my friend lost a battle with lukemia 10 months ago.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

the first deer i shot, i had my uncle, bro, cousin, and dad with me. and then the second one i shot, i had my bro sittin with me then when i shot it we watched it run then fall, then we shook my hand!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to say my 1st bow kill.

I was scared to move while four bucks were walking around my tree. when I got a chance to to reach for my bow they all walkedout of range. I blessed my self out for not being ready and not hearing them coming. They smelled where I came inthe woods and turned around and came right back to me. When I stopped shaking he fell 30 yds. from where he was hit. I still waited for 30 min. before getting down. Those were the good old days..........
Old 04-18-2006, 02:02 PM

The day my bro-in-law and I bothed tagged bucks on the last morning of a DIY Illinois hunt.... That was awesome.... From our vantage points, we got to watch each other shoot our deer!! I'll never forget that one...
Old 04-18-2006, 02:08 PM

The one that won't happen for another 7 yrs or so.....my son (first born) will be about 12 then!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Spike

I hear you PSE this past season I got a ground blind as the youngsters are wanting to go. We have some more practice to go yet, but just haveing the 7&10 yr olds with ya is as good as the the first bow buck, ad the ten year old saw deer several times last year. cant wit til his adrenalin REALLY kicks in
Old 04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite bowhunt is the one of my first archery kill and first buck ever. It was a momentus moment for me because not only was it my first buck and archery kill, but I did everything leading up to and on the day all by myself. I scouted the area, picked the stand location, setup the stand and prepped the area for the upcoming season. I worked very hard to get my bow dialed in and made sure I was lethal. Finally the season opened and on the second day of my forth archery season I was setup in the stand all by myself where the buck walked by and I made the shot!

Quick Reply: Which bowhunt means the most?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.