Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got  bad news from docter >

Got bad news from docter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got bad news from docter

Old 03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got bad news from docter

Take heart! I am in my late 50's and have had the same problem with my first back surgery in 1968 while I was still a teenager and two more since then but I am still able tobowhunt. Trouble with some arthritis but still manage to bowhunt. Keep the faith and keep huntin'.
Best of luck to you.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

well that sucks
Old 03-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about that..... I have degenerative arthritis, hope it doesnt catch up with me either.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

pm sent
Old 03-27-2006, 09:00 PM

WOW BEARBUSTER66 THIS REALLY GETS ME SHOCKED, HOPE YOU GET WELL AND WILL KEEP YOU IN PRAYERS AND IF I CAN HELP IN ANYWAY, COUNT ME ON!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:08 PM

Prayers sent your way. They talking about surgery?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

my prayers are with ya man.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: BEARBUSTER66

Found out today that i have degentative disc disease in 6 discs.
Sounds like an awful lot man. Now before you go throwin' in the towel here you should know that #1 if he diagnosed you off an x-ray he is just guessing.......you can't see discs on a film.....now what you can see are disc spaces and if those are decreased then you have a pretty good idea that a disc could be in trouble. There are also other changes to the bones of the spine that go along with disc degeneration that are clues as well. Bottom line is that if you take a film on anyone.........and I mean ANYONE that is near age 40 you will be able to find at least one and probably more discs that you would say are less then textbook "normal" Everyone's discs begin to shrink ever so slowly due to decreased hydration from about age 30 onwards anyways. If your doctor is talking about very mild disc changes here then by all means adjust your lifestyle and be aware that it's something you need to make an effort to keep from going down hill. Once the mechanics of the spinal column get screwed up it is usually a snowballing effect that leads to increases in pressure elsewhere until something gives. Be smart about things you do in your area of concern.

That leads me to the next step..........I don't where all these discs are he is telling you are in trouble but I am guessing a combo of low back and neck since there are no discs above your second cervical (neck) vertebra so it would cover your whole neck and then some if that is what he meant and low back issues above the bottom 3 vertebra are not common outside of trauma or long standing degeneration or pathology (you being in your 30's should have neither) Thoracic (mid back) disc problems are much less symptomatic in nature and again are usually from trauma or disease process.

Bottom line........find out which discs he is talking about so you know what you're dealing with.

Once you know which discs are of concern I would then say you should evaluate your current condition accordingly. If they are neck discs then you need to be concerned if you have problems in your arms and even down to your hands. Pain, numbness, weakness, weird sensation etc are all of concern. They should be pretty predictable as far as which disc is the cause because each nerve (C5-C6-C7-C8-T1) has it's own job to do in the arms and hands and signs of problems with each are not hard to trace.

As far as low back you are talking about getting more concerned if you get sciatica (pain down legs and into feet), and generally the stuff I mentioned about the arms but in your legs. Serious disc problems in the low back can have wide ranging effect but I don't think you are in that arena yet if at all because you mentioned bowhunting so I figure it's your upper body that is of concern........not that low back issues make climbing trees and dragging deer very easy either though.

An MRI is the only way you are gonna know what your discs are doing for certain.......you probably won't get one of them ordered unless you have serious radiating nerve pain issues though (insurance companies suck).

Get as much info as you can about what you are being told and elaborate a little on your condition and maybe we can help you out some and keep you in a tree for a few more years

Old 03-28-2006, 02:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

LISTEN I HAVE the disease for 7 years and I went from some pain to a wheel chair. Pain is 24-7 and I need morphine patches to cope when hunting in m a chair .I use a x-bow. Any hunt could be my last.Cant work and am on welfare.Go get the best doctors you can afford. I could not ,was stuck with the VA. Nothing to mess with. Sorry to be so negative.But you need to know the truth. God bless you and hopefully they caught it early and they can help you.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very sorry to hear. I'll keep you in my prayers - you too cardeer.

Quick Reply: Got bad news from docter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.