Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dogs on my hunting land >

Dogs on my hunting land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dogs on my hunting land

Old 03-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Dogs on my hunting land

I know this has been hashed out many times on here, but I just need to vent. I have sole permision to hunt this small 11 acre piece of land, most of it being open CRP. There is a crop field in between my spot and the neighbors house, ( about 20acres or so.) The neighbor guy owns this field, but rents it out to someone. This neighbor has 3 dogs, all 3 of them are dobermans. 2 years ago, I did not see any deer all year, and that was very odd, becouse the years before that, I would see at least 6-12 deer every day. That year there were beans in that crop field, and his dogs would come across that field and run deer. ( I know this becouse I finally got his dogs on film). And then this past year there was corn in that field, andI didnt see a dog all year, and I saw a ton of deer. As soon as the guy picked his corn, the dogs were back. I should mention, that I have had these dogs right at the base of my tree, while I was in my stand. The land owner has called the sherrif 3 times on this guy, and he has also chained one of the dogs up when it came up by his house, and then called the neighbor up and told him to come and get his dog. When he showed up to get his dog, my land owner was standing there with a gun, and told him that next time he will be picking up a dead dog. I just got my last roll of film developed from the last 2 weeks,and ther were more dog pictures.[:@]I think that he has had more than enough warnings. What do you all think? I know that this coming year there will be beans in this field again, so I can count on not seeing any deer again this year. Sorry this got so long winded.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dogs on my hunting land

He will be missing a couple dogs this year I take it!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:08 PM

Dont know what your laws are but in MN, between Jan. 1 and July 14, anyone observing a dog wounding, killing or pursuing big game may shoot that dog and will not be held liable. Outside of those dates, only a peace officer may do it. The way I look at it,IF the guy has had plenty of warnings, then he obviously does not care about his animals, and I would go ahead and shoot one and open his eyes up.

I know it is not the dogs fault, but you cant reason with them, only the owner. And if this is your only property to hunt, no dog would be ruining it for me.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

I think there will be a couple of dead dogs in the future.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey MnPurple, I too live in Mn. And yes, if I ever see them out there while I am out there, he will be missing some dogs. I NEVER thought that I woiuld say that, but it is my only hunting spot,and will not let his damn dogs ruin another year for me.[:@]
Old 03-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

I love dogs and have always had them as pets. But I keep track of them for their sakes and out of courtesy. To me, its just common sense to control your dogs. If one of my dogs got loose and was killed it would bum me out but thats just the way it is. I've had the exact problem you are talking about. I've hunted a small tract the last few years and its always had plenty of deer. Last year no deer. But sure had 2 or 3 dogs that seemed awful comfortable running around the place the first day of season. I didn't shoot any of them but I will this year if I get the chance. One of them looks like he's part pit and he scared the crap of me a few times because I'd turn around and there he'd be about 5' away. He never growled or anything but I ran at him a few times and he'd run away just a bit and then come back. I finally pitched a rock at him one day and pegged him in the ribs. I heard a grunt/yelp and didn't see him for a few weeks but then saw him again. Sometimes it was just him and other times he'd have 1 or 2 others with him. I pretty much quit going out there. I wasted a lot of time last year setting up a few stands, trimming lanes, etc., all for nothing. So yes, I'll end that business this year if it happens again. I won't like it but I'll do it. The land owners are pissed, too. I told them about it and then they were out there a few times and had the same thing happen. They told me if I saw them again they'd appreciate any help with the matter.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:10 PM

Dogs can definitly ruin a property.... We had a pack of wild dogs on our property than ran deer 24/7 365 days a year....... Took a while, but we finally got them all..... But new packs keep moving in.... Stray dogs should be delt with swiftly....
Old 03-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Kill them all!

One day you are going to die also, and just think about all the good hunts you COULD have hadprior to that day.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:25 PM

Rover?... you won't see him no more!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man I feel your pain! I never had this problem until this past season. 3 or 4 dogs chasing the deer all over the fu%#*&* woods. It drove me absolutely nuts and I have no idea who owns them. I too never thought I can hurt a dog, but if it continues I may have to arrow those mutts!!!!

Quick Reply: Dogs on my hunting land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.