Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dogs on my hunting land >

Dogs on my hunting land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dogs on my hunting land

Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dogs on my hunting land

I had a stray dog come running under my treestand this year. It ran through a nearbybedding area and even stopped to eat from my bait pile. I was seriously considering sticking an arrow in him I was so mad. But then I heard some little kids coming through the woods calling for their family pet. They finally caught up to him and took him home by the collar. Man am I glad I didn't shoot that dog! But I certainly understand how maddening it can be....
Old 03-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Spike

This problem seems to happen to me every year. Last year we had two strays that were staying around our house at night and eating dog food put out for our dogs. During the day the dogs would run deer in the woods around my house, which happens to be where I hunt. We had tried to get rid of them around the house, but things were'nt working out right.Beforeshotgun seasonme and my brother were sighting in his shotgun, and one of the dogs happened to be passing through the creek behind the house, end of the road for him. Later on, the other stray gota little close to my bowstand. Now I see more deer on the property, and dog food doesn't seem to be disappearing. These animals were more than likely dumped because they had no collars and had been around for quite some time. We had also contacted neighbors to check for ownership but no owners were found, so we solved the problem.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

In NC you can't shoot a dog with a collar. Not to say the callar can't come off but go and talk to the guy. I would not want someone shooting my dogs. If they did there are other ways to make sure deer don't run on your hunting propertys.

Growing up if stray dogs ran our livestock they went down after the first warning.
I would check the laws in your state and talk to the owners again. Be nice and see if he has a attatude then call the dog pound. You don't have to stick em to get rid of them.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Why wasn't the dogs owner ticketed, especially with the evidence? If this continues, I would first try to catch one and take it to the pound, let the owner go pay to get it out a couple times. If that doesnt work, and the sheriff wont ticket the guy, then I would say you will have to take more "drastic" measures. It is too bad, because its not the dogs fault. Too bad you could not put a shock collar on the owner and light him up a few times when his dogs are chasing deer.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:09 AM

I feel for ya! But remember the general public won't. If you have to take the bull by horns, don't make itpublic and i wouldn't leavem out in the open!! good luck!!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem with stray cats and dogs scaring deer, if you don’t want to kill the dogs (I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t) Just pick up a bb gun. I did and have not seen a dog or cat around my stand. Obviously this will only work when your in the woods. Or catch the dogs Don’t call the owner and call animal control, to the pound with them. You may never see them again and they may get a bettor owner.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BEARBUSTER66

I feel for ya! But remember the general public won't. If you have to take the bull by horns, don't make itpublic and i wouldn't leavem out in the open!! good luck!!
I agree, in fact, I wouldn't have brought to the forum at all, wouldn't have talked about it to anyone and made my own decison on the moment. I am a dog lover, I think they are an amazing animal and owned a Doberman once and he was truly a gentle best friend. Although I'd hate to see anyone's dog disappear, this particular owner doesn't seem to have the respect for the dog, the neighbors, hunters or wildlife in general. I wish you luck on your decision regardless of what it is but talking about this in a public forum, of hunters shooting dogs or the ability to shoot a dog is just negative about hunters period. I know we're all above this and situations come up but again, in the eyes of the world, we don't want to be known as pet killers.

PS, Think about this: What if you make an errant shot, it happens and you send an arrow impaled dog home to it's owner? The cops get involved, the SPCA gets involved, the papers get involved and maybe the local news gets involved. How will you feel? How will that look in the eyes of the community etc? Again, good luck but I'd first look for alternate answers.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

PS, Think about this: What if you make an errant shot, it happens and you send an arrow impaled dog home to it's owner? The cops get involved, the SPCA gets involved, the papers get involved and maybe the local news gets involved. How will you feel? How will that look in the eyes of the community etc? Again, good luck but I'd first look for alternate answers.

Rob makes a very good point. Several years ago, two pit bulls attacked an killed my daughter's cat. I tried to chase them off, they then tried to attack me and my wife. I called the police. An officer came and sat in his car afraid to get out, I killed one of the dogs, the other one ran off. I was arrested, it never went to court however it wasthe embarrassment of going to jail, getting finger printed and so on.. I thinkI would pursue a lawyer, and maybe a law suit..you can do something about this.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 AM

I have posted a topic like this before and it ended up causing an uproar. Several years ago an entire litter of pups somehow got to running my hunting property(my guess someone didnt want them), since then they've grown up and had pups of their own. Now the property is littered with the dagnabin things!! BeforeI would see a ton of deer almost everyouting, now...nothing.I'm not talkin about someones pet either just a pack of mangy "wild" muts. In WV where the property is located I can kill any dog that doesnt have a colar. So far I have killed 4 over the years and I will kill as many as it takes. If it was someones pet I may hessitate alittle even if it doesnt have a collar, but I can tell the difference. These dogs look like they need put out of their missery anyway.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I had a stray dog come running under my treestand this year. It ran through a nearbybedding area and even stopped to eat from my bait pile. I was seriously considering sticking an arrow in him I was so mad. But then I heard some little kids coming through the woods calling for their family pet. They finally caught up to him and took him home by the collar. Man am I glad I didn't shoot that dog! But I certainly understand how maddening it can be....
Stupid kids running wild through my hunting woods I'm a good mind to........same train of thought as shooting someone's dog.[:@]

Quick Reply: Dogs on my hunting land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.