Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn? >

Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

Old 03-20-2006, 07:27 PM

Default RE: Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

It's too cold out for snakes where I hunt so I pay it no mind.

I like the dude with the hawks on his shoulder. That's a good idea.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Spike

I have two pet Mongoose follow me to my stand ,and then they go back home..LOl ,come fall in Ohio its too cold for them snakes,and if i do see any there moving real slow,ALOT slower then me after i see them..
Old 03-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know much about all this new stuff and high tech snake stuff. What they had when I lived in Georgia was these heavy old gaiters made of a couple different materials. One was nothing more than material of heavy plastic that was molded and wrapped around your leg. What I used was more like a flak jacket. Some type of fang proof semi plyable stuff inside of a canvas cover with straps and buckles. I also latter went with a big old knee high pair of heavy leather snake stuff that was about a quarter inch thick leather. HEavy and hot. I threw them away about 2 years ago saying I'd buy new fangled light weight stuff if I go back South. I left Georgia in 1981.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess everyones experiences with snakes are different. Like I said, I have never had a snake strike out at me with no reason. Sure if I mess with them or torment them in some way they become agressive but they always try to get away as soon as I quit trying to pick them up and were usually trying to back their way out of the bad situation they were in the entire time.

My brother stepped on a cotton mouth once and it reached around and bit his rubber boot. As soon as he got off the snake it ran the other way.

I guess if I had a copperhead in a pop up with me I would expect it to be agressive too.

My suggestion is just get a good pair of snake proof boots. But I have found that good rubber boots are very effective at stopping very large cottonmouth bites as well.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Davidmil my dad was in the land clearing/planting business for years and he had some of those old plastic looking robot leggings. Wasn't good for nothin but tearing up your legs and makin noise. I'm thinkin I may just rely on some good Lacrosse rubber boots or maybe some of the newer flexible leggings. I just hate snakes.[:@]LT
Old 03-20-2006, 08:58 PM

One Fall probably 15yrs ago or so, I was picking up some leaves from under some plants in the yard, and found a snake..... I was 15 or so and knew a lot about the snakes in the area, but never saw one like that.I first thought it may have been a kingsnake. Itsheadlooked different to me and was VERY aggressive. I managed to pick it up with my bare hands, and put it in a glass tank. I put the tank on my dads car, went inside to get my snake book, came back out, and it was gone.... I looked through some pictures, and to my surprise it was a copperhead. I live in OH, and was inthe northern mostregion for copperhead snakes from what the little picture shows in the books. Anyways, I know what you are talking about aggressive if touched. WOW. It was about 2ft in length and VERY thick. A lot different than my typical garter snake that I was used to playing with. Anyways, just wanted to share the story, and agree with you about the attitude of the Copperhead. I don't care to EVER see one of those again in the wild.

Oh, yea, if I lived down south, I would without a doubt wear snake proofboots while hunting.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Luckily here in WV the snakes are usually gone by the time bow season comes around. In my 37 years of hunting I've never seen a rattlesnake or copperhead in the woods.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 AM

I've been bowhunting the deep south for going on 15 yrs and I can probably count onone hand the number of snakes I've encountered in the woods while hunting..... I just don't let it bother me..... I also don't take stupid chances like walking through blow downs, across beaver dams, and other snakey looking areas..... 99% of the cotton mouth's I've seen were around water, 99% of the rattlers I've seen were around some type of junk pile, and 99% of copperheads I've seen were in blow downs....

I avoid those areas if possible..
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 AM

I guess I should say that the spring and summer are totally different beasts.... I do wear snake boots if in the woods during those times of the year...
Old 03-21-2006, 11:41 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I wear gaiters when hog hunting.We usually end up in the places the snakes like to stay. During deer season I never worried about it I guess. I just walk to my stands. I have had a couple different pair of gaiters, you tear them up fast hog hunting and these are the best I've had so far. They are fairly lightweight, comfortable and fit loose enough that they aren't hot at all. They seem to be really durable so far, I would recommend them if you are looking to get some.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/1877.html

Quick Reply: Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.