Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Drawing your bow. >

Drawing your bow.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drawing your bow.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Drawing your bow.

When I draw my bow I keep it straight and pull straight back. This is the way Ive taught many kids and adults how to shoot. I also tell them to shoot a draw weight their comfortable with so that they can pull it straight back. I guees what my beef is, is watching some of these hunting shows and watching a hunter have to point his bow skyward and draw that way. To me this is someone who is pulling too much draw weight and there is a ton of movement while their hunting. Not saying their a bad shot or anything but it seems easier to use a draw weight your comfortable with. Is it just me or do others practice this skyward pointing when you draw?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Drawing your bow.

Agreed. Only one time did I pull a bow back and point it up to do it. One of my friends had an old Jennings that I think he said was at #70 draw. It felt like #170. The first time I tried to pull it back I couldn't. Of course I didn't want to look like a wimp so I sucked it all up and barely had enough to break it over. I was sure happy but I think I talked with a higher pitch for a week. I try to practice the way I'll hunt and try draw straight back and also will draw very slowly. Sometimes real slow.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. There is much less movement if you draw straight back as opposed to
aiming at the sky first. I have never been busted during my draw. Yet anyway.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

i used to do the skyward thing, but not anymore. i might point up jus a tad but not as much as i used to.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:39 PM

I think that it's the way we've seen it done and anticipate that's how you are supposed to do it. I've always practiced straight back because it's the safest and smartest way to draw the bow.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a sky-puller. I started sky-pulling back in '87 when I started shooting a compound. The choices for a cheap, left-handed,lower-weight compound in North Dakota were rather slim.

I had to get a bow with a 28" draw. It was a lot easier to pull it back by sky-pulling than just straight back. Nobody told me it was bad form. (that's not my only bad form issue either...It's downrightentertaining to watch me shoot)

I have a 26.5" draw Equalizer on order right now. I'll have to start using a release. Sky-pulling and a release is a bad combo. I'll need to start working on my form. [:@]

Old 03-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's definitely a sign someone is over-bowed to me if they have to do that to get drawn. Of course, it might be just a bad habit formed somewhere along the way earlier...

As a bowhunter, I want to be able to point my bow where it's going to be held when aiming a few moments later, and just merely draw my right hand back smoothly; this minimizes as much movement as possible while hunting.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed Greg,

If one can't point the bow at the intended target and pull straight back, then that one is pulling too much weight and is over bowed.....

Old 03-16-2006, 09:34 PM

I never ever draw to the sky. Even if I am pulling 70 lbs. back to plug that boar. My philosophy is, even if you are the strongest person to pull that back, its not worth it taking the cahnce to draw back like that. There always could be the mistake of letting that arrow go, not to mention all the movement and strain to bring the bow down to settle the pins. No offense, but not my cup of tea.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

Makes me think of when I was at the pro shop a few months back. A guy walks in with a beautiful looking new Matthews, says hey to the guy working behind the counter and that he was going back to the range. Several minutes later we here this thud and the staffer just looked kinda puzzled. After a few minutes another thud. The staffer looked a little pissed and took off around the corner. I went back to see what was up to find him telling the guy to keep his finger behind the release trigger until he was drawn. The ceilings in the range were about 10' or 12' high with a wood beam hanging down about 5 yards downrange with 2 arrows sticking out of it. Funny thing is once you started looking there were quite a few holes in that beam.

Quick Reply: Drawing your bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.