Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,, >

If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
hunting
45.95%
harvesting
54.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

I would call this farming and not hunting or harvesting.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

neither, its cheating. high fence is high fence
and not that I have a problem with the term 'harvest' (my wife surely does though), deer and other animals are not crops, and therefore shouldn't be referred to as such. when you fill a tag, call it that, taking an animal, or killing one. you harvest corn, and you kill a deer.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

neither, its cheating. high fence is high fence
and not that I have a problem with the term 'harvest' (my wife surely does though), deer and other animals are not crops, and therefore shouldn't be referred to as such. when you fill a tag, call it that, taking an animal, or killing one. you harvest corn, and you kill a deer.
So what do you call a person that kills deer?

Bobby
Old 03-16-2006, 08:54 AM

Its nice to see that so far everyoneseems openminded, everyone has their opinions and they should be respected. I personally refer tohunting as the time spent in pursuit of the animal, fence or no fence. In my opinion puttinga stalkon a deer or waiting for a deer in astand in no way is called harvesting. It simply doesn't make sense. Harvest is another term for kill.I don't love to kill (harvest) I love to hunt.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:04 AM

This is it short great exp.
ORIGINAL: Texan1554

Its nice to see that so far everyoneseems openminded, everyone has their opinions and they should be respected. I personally refer tohunting as the time spent in pursuit of the animal, fence or no fence. In my opinion puttinga stalkon a deer or waiting for a deer in astand in no way is called harvesting. It simply doesn't make sense. Harvest is another term for kill.I don't love to kill (harvest) I love to hunt.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:09 AM

The area I hunt is close to 1000 acres, and most people don't realize how large it really is, so yes, it is hunting!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:32 AM

Sylvan, I like your reply!

Critr-Gitr, I also like your reply, but what you said about that ranch and the wildfire troubles me greatly.

I have been riding the fence on this subject for a long time. I have never been to a high-fenced ranch, other than a drive-thru zoo. I'm not going to bash someone that HUNTS a high-fenced ranch. I sayHUNT because I do believe that it is possible to HUNT on a fenced ranch. To me, it all depends on HOW the hunter actually hunts. In my case, this all stems from 3-4 years ago when I evolved into a bowhunter. I no longer feel that I am hunting if a shoot a deer from 100+ yards away. I WANT TO BE CLOSE! But hey, that's just me. That is the reason I've gone the last 3 (three) years without any venison. Now, I fully beleive thata personcould go to a H-F ranchkill a deer and walk away feeling thatthey hunted him down andnever even see a fence. Now, I am NOT talkin about a place or operation like what we read about in the J. Houston thread a while back. That made me sick! Drugged or not, it was just plain wrong! IF I ever did go to a H-F ranch and felt, even for a nanosecond, that the high fence gave me an "increased chance"(unfair advantage) at a kill, I would walk out immediately. Right now I say, I probably will not go to a H-F ranch unless someone offers me a free hunt on one, or I win a hunt somewhere. However, I'd still go with what I stated before about the unfair advantage thing. IMO,Ithink that the high-fenced places ought to put up some sort of boundry marker,like a low-fence, maybe 300 yards or so, inside the high-fence. Any game animal, between the two fences would be off limits. No shooting across the low-fence. JMO!

Probably my biggest hang-up with high-fences is that a land owner, owns that LAND not the native game on his land. If he fences his land, sealing native publically owned game inside, to me, that's not right. If he wants to buy deer from deer farms, fine, I don't care. This is why I am split on the fence issue. This whole wildfire thing throws another kink in the hose. If an issue like this comes up and the rancher loses animals that he "bought" but they couldn't get away, well, that's HIS loss. If the fire kills animals that belonged to the public, then it's everyones loss. (this may be a whole new can for a diff. thread)

It all comes back to HOW the hunt is done. You don't have to spot & stalk to call it hunting. We don't spot a stalk for ducks do we? Nope, we wait for them to come to us. Yeah, we go out and scout for what we hope to be the best spot to intercept them, but it's no gaurantee. No matter what style is chosen, it just has to be fair! This is why I don't want tohunt another deer with a gun. I feel that since I've learned another method of hunting, it's only fair to the deer, that I use that method. BTW, I'm still learning, and so far the deer are winning this game of cat & mouse.

Again, just my opinions, and I'm still on the fence about the fence.[&:]

TXMM
Old 03-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer and other animals are not crops, and therefore shouldn't be referred to as such
so there is no such thing as cattle farms/farming or chicken farms etc even though they arent crops its still a type of farming???

Im not saying hunting fences is wrong but come on, the animals are managed as to what is harvested or how many are harvested etc ... what they eat, becuase the only thing they eat is what is inside the fence wether it be natural habitat for that area or select planted crops and the person that owns the fence makes the decision as to what stays, what grows and what goes. Everything inside that fence is managed in one way or another and so is the herd of whatever is inside the fence, some animals may be native some may not but its a managed hunting area which is exactly like farming to me.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

A thousand acres is a lot, but it's not that much. Especially if it's in open country, where only asmall percentageis shrubs or trees.

I have nothing against people who hunt behind fences, I've hunted hogs in a ranch once. It was a great time. The main reason the fence was there is because hogs tear up the land, and the neighbors didn't like them. Just my 2 cents on my experiences on the subject.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 AM

Depends on the animal IMO.....

For rabbits, hogs, squirrels, etc 1,000 is fine with me..... For deer, elk, buff, and other big game animals, I would think you need much more than 1,000 acres to not get someresemblancesof domestication....

Quick Reply: If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.