Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,, >

If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
hunting
45.95%
harvesting
54.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-17-2006, 04:24 PM

Default RE: If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

How many miles do you all walk to "hunt"?, This question goes for those who said that is harvesting, you just walk into the woods climb to you tree stand or walk to your blind and just stay there you don't walk the whole 500 ,1000 ,2000 4000 neither 10000 acres so on how much area do you make your "hunt", so its the same thing.

don't tell me you walk all the area!

On a 1000 highfenced ranch do you think someone can hide? YES, so deers and any kind of wild animal can.

SO IS HUNT
Old 03-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

You ask the question. You got the answers. And now you want to argue about it. You know by now this group is much to thick headed to be changed by a discussion or a good arguement. The question and the answer had nothing to do with how far we had to walk. It had to do with how far into the woods can the deer walk if he wants to. TWO, hunting raised herds that are over populated and can only be sustained by feeding and supplemental food plots is not a natural situation. Baiting a sendero with 500 pounds of grain daily is not natural habitat. Fencing the critters in, overpopulating and then baiting them is not a natural habitat. It's not hunting.... it's target practice. I'll take that little 6 pointer shot in the Adirondacks over a dozen of those managed, bred, culled and groomed critters behind a fence anyday. In fact, you'll never find me behind a fence. I just won't do it.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:31 PM

1000 acres fenced, high or low is hunting in my book.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Davidmil.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mex, you might not walk far to hunt, I don't know, maybe you don't need to where you hunt. I really don't know, although it doesn't sound like you walk very far usually. I guess you get what you pay for. Regardless, its none of my concern. You will "hunt" whichever way makes you happy, as long as it is legal and ethical then that is your business.

I myself walk on average of 1 mile in and 1 mile out of my stands. On my private ground, it is mainly flat farmland and I have to use what little terrain is available to hide my movement and sound.
On the public ground I hunt, I have to walk a wide perimeter to get to my stand in order to minimize my scent trail sincethewoods are sothick.I alwayscount on 45 minutes of travel time minimum to and from my stand/blind. Slow concealed movement and minimal scent left behind - keeping ears tuned and eyes sharp all the way.

Like davidmil said, you got your answers, you just don't like them.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

when the only places left to hunt are fenced I'm givin up the game.
Doesn't matter how big or long the fence, it is fenced for a reason and that is an advantage.
period
This stuff will be the end of hunting by any definition.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:00 PM

If it's high fenced land it is just killingtrapped deer.

I saw something today that fits right in with this. It was quite amazing.
I was driving down the road through the northern bootheel of Missouri and saw 4 count-em 4 deer running out in the field to my left. They were just running along free as a bird. I slowed down to watch and finally pulled over and grabed my binocs to get a closer look. They had more fields and woods to there left but the big doe in the lead wanted to run down the middle of the field. They got ahead of me so I got back on the road and got a little ahead of them again and pulled over to watch. They started toward the hwy. a couple of times but other traffic turned them back. They jumped a couple of small fences (that's always cool to watch)and also went behind and in front of serveral farm houses. They finally turned up into a draw in a ridge line and dissapeared into the woods.
Now on my way back I checked the distance and it was a little over a mile in a matter of just a few minuets. A mile square 640 acres they could have covered that in know time.
These deer ran along out in this field for over a mile with me stopping and watching them and other cars going up and down the hwy.
I saw nothing chasing them, haven't got a clue why the did it.
These deer were wild and free to go where ever they wanted.
High fenced deer no matter the size of the area can't do that.
There trapped.
P.S. Know matter how big the Barrel it's still a Barrel
Old 03-17-2006, 10:46 PM

No Hazcon7 I'm ok with you and sometimes I walk alot too or just stalk all day, the only thing that I don't understand very much is that if I make my hunting the same way In both places highfenced(over 6000 acres) or free range, why should I don't called HUNTING, ok maybe is cause of the fence but we don't have free ranged RED STAGS here in America or some other exotics and if I hunt them in America they're no hunted they're harvested and we don't have a bowharvesting forum.
ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

Mex, you might not walk far to hunt, I don't know, maybe you don't need to where you hunt. I really don't know, although it doesn't sound like you walk very far usually. I guess you get what you pay for. Regardless, its none of my concern. You will "hunt" whichever way makes you happy, as long as it is legal and ethical then that is your business.

I myself walk on average of 1 mile in and 1 mile out of my stands. On my private ground, it is mainly flat farmland and I have to use what little terrain is available to hide my movement and sound.
On the public ground I hunt, I have to walk a wide perimeter to get to my stand in order to minimize my scent trail sincethewoods are sothick.I alwayscount on 45 minutes of travel time minimum to and from my stand/blind. Slow concealed movement and minimal scent left behind - keeping ears tuned and eyes sharp all the way.

Like davidmil said, you got your answers, you just don't like them.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I suppose that's enough of that.....like was said, no one is going to change anyone else's mind and simpy arguing the situations does nothing good for this forum or hunting in general. It's actually detrimental to see fellow hunters ague like this however to each his own. AND, this went away from Bowhunting and is now off topic, I could move it to Hunting and Politics but I won't. I would compliment everyone for the most part in keeping a very level headed discussion. Don't slam me for locking this, Right or Wrong, I think this thread ran it's course. Thanks eveyone, I think? [&:]