Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Blind or Treestand >

Blind or Treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blind or Treestand

Old 03-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Blind or Treestand

treestand without a doubt.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted from treestands all my life growing up. After moving to Texas, I quickly realized that the treestand options were limited at best and satrted hunting out of tripods. Recently I started hunting out of brush ground blinds and pop up ground blinds and I am slowly learning to like this style of hunting more and more. You are on the same level as the animal and it offers a whole different perspective. You have to do a little prep work to effectively hunt from a pop up blind, but if done right, they are exteremely effective.

Plus the older I get, the more I like the ground blind hunting.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:28 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I guess it's what you the person prefers. Blinds in my experience you can move more and can have a better chance with some mistakes. As far as the deer seeing you, you have to set up the right way. I know more people in the west that hunt from the ground not even in a blind and do very well. The tree stand has a big advantage for seeing something coming sooner but being in the blind I can watch and wait and I can move around some which I like.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the others.... GET UP IN A TREESTAND!

1) Deer don't walk around looking up.
2) Deer can't smell you, uphigh in a tree.
3) You can see deer way before they come into range.

I see more deer bowhunting out of a treestand then I do rifle hunting on the ground. Then again, maybe it's me... Maybe if I changed my stinky hunting socks more often! ha ha ha
Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 PM

Butch,
I normally agree with the things you post, but I gotta call ya on this one! We have 1700 acres at work that we are allowed to bowhunt on. There isn't very much pressure on our deer (only six bowhunters and a few locals that slip onto the backside of the property). We have an old doe that looks up all the time, and has actually "trained" the younger deer to do the same. Now I know what you're thinking: "You guys are getting busted!". Not so! Last fall I got into one stand about three hours before dusk, and about 90 minutes later she showed up with two fawns. I hadshowered with scent-killer soap and shampoo, andwas covered head-to-toe in scent-washed, UV treated camo with Exscent underwear, a Scent-lock hood, rubber boots,etc. In NC the leaves stay on the trees most of the season and it was almost impossible for me to be silhouetted. To top it off, I had anticipated some action and had remained virtually motionless for the entire afternoon. The doe ate some acorns and every few minutes would look right up at me, then resume feeding. She never really saw me, but knew that sometimes hunters were up there.Every other bowhunter at work has seen the same thing. We really want to take her out, as it would be impossible to shoot a trophy buck (or any deer for that matter)if she were around as a "lookout"! With all the development and encroachment of the whitetail's territory, resulting in heavy hunting in certain areas, these deer today are becoming saavy to our hunting techniques.Up in the mountains the deer are nowhere near as keen (nor as nocturnal).
As for scenting you in a stand, your half right. In the morning as the temperature rises, so do the temperature-induced air currents (thermals), however, as the temperatures drop in the late afternoon, the air currents are downward also, bringing your scent to the ground!
I think that with the right set-up (location, background foliage, camo, etc.) you are right: treestands will be more productive. But alot has to do with the set-up, and that will apply to blinds as well!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Spike

I use my popup for turkeys only, tree in my opinion is much better. Gets your scent up and away and gets you out of line of sight
Old 03-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on where you hunt and what you prefer. Look at the bruiser TJF shot this year

and I don't even think he was in a blind, just tall grass. I've done both and been more successful with a stand but found ground hunting more exciting. If you do use a stand, be safe. A stand probably would be your best bet as a beginner though if there's trees available.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NCYankee

Butch,
I normally agree with the things you post, but I gotta call ya on this one! We have 1700 acres at work that we are allowed to bowhunt on. There isn't very much pressure on our deer (only six bowhunters and a few locals that slip onto the backside of the property). We have an old doe that looks up all the time, and has actually "trained" the younger deer to do the same. Now I know what you're thinking: "You guys are getting busted!". Not so! Last fall I got into one stand about three hours before dusk, and about 90 minutes later she showed up with two fawns. I hadshowered with scent-killer soap and shampoo, andwas covered head-to-toe in scent-washed, UV treated camo with Exscent underwear, a Scent-lock hood, rubber boots,etc. In NC the leaves stay on the trees most of the season and it was almost impossible for me to be silhouetted. To top it off, I had anticipated some action and had remained virtually motionless for the entire afternoon. The doe ate some acorns and every few minutes would look right up at me, then resume feeding. She never really saw me, but knew that sometimes hunters were up there.Every other bowhunter at work has seen the same thing. We really want to take her out, as it would be impossible to shoot a trophy buck (or any deer for that matter)if she were around as a "lookout"! With all the development and encroachment of the whitetail's territory, resulting in heavy hunting in certain areas, these deer today are becoming saavy to our hunting techniques.Up in the mountains the deer are nowhere near as keen (nor as nocturnal).
As for scenting you in a stand, your half right. In the morning as the temperature rises, so do the temperature-induced air currents (thermals), however, as the temperatures drop in the late afternoon, the air currents are downward also, bringing your scent to the ground!
I think that with the right set-up (location, background foliage, camo, etc.) you are right: treestands will be more productive. But alot has to do with the set-up, and that will apply to blinds as well!
Wow.... Great post! Okay, I stand corrected. Honestly, I didn't know a deer could/would come up and scan the trees for hunters! That is one smart doe!!! [&:]

Butch A.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:07 PM

I use a Matrix blind. I RARELY hunt from a tree any longer.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I don't use either one. I have a small fold up stool that I throw over my shoulder and still hunt around until I find a promising spot, then I find a large tree, fallen top, brush, weeds, etc to hide myself in. This is very useful because it makes you MOBILE, if I see deer off in the distance and don't think they are coming my way, I will slip up on them and reset the ole stool. This method has been working very well for me since I've abandoned the trees. On numerous occasions I've had deer close enough to touch, once one actually put it's nose on my back! I've gotten 4 p&y bucks in the last 5 years doing this. This is also much cheaper than a stand or blind, you can get a stool for $20 or so. My wife also hunts this way(she's afraid of heights) and arrowed her first deer this year.

Quick Reply: Blind or Treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.