Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another Black Eye for Hunting >

Another Black Eye for Hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Black Eye for Hunting

Old 02-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another Black Eye for Hunting

Did anybody happen to watch Bass Pro Shop World of Hunting Sunday? Jerry Martin wasstill hunting whitetails with a gun and walk up on this bedded buck. Well it's brushy as hell and Ol Jerry decides that if the buck stands upand starts walking away he's going to take him. Just on cue the buck stands and starts walking and he picks a spot through all of the brush and shoots the deer just to the right side of it's butthole. That's two shots in the last week that's been on TV where the hunter has Texas HeartShot the animal. Sometimes we are our worst enemies.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:00 AM

Default RE: Another Black Eye for Hunting

Didn't see that one, but if a deer is 30 yards and with a rifle...that shot probably isn't that bad. Now that being said I don't think it should be "promoted" on TV or taught. But if it were me, in that situation...I don't know.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I did see that... I didn't realize that's where he hit him though. I thought he was quartering away. Shows what I know.
Nice buck too.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:00 AM

I did see it and I rewended it, I had it onDVR so I can do that. But itdidlook like the deer was quartering away enough that he got a good shot on the animal.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

thats a shame it gives ethical hunters a bad rap[&o]
Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 PM

C'mon...guns are for shooting people!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

I didnt see the show so i have just one question did it appear that the animal died quickly if so what is the problem
Old 03-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm really suprised by the number of people that think that this is OK. I don't know where and from whom you learned to hunt but I was taught that a butthole shot was VERY unethical and not a high percentage shot.I would think that with all of the big deer that Jerry Martinhas shot he could've waited for a broadside shot or just let the deer walk away. I've seen alot of hunters let deer walk having this same shot.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

didnt see it but wish i would of
Old 03-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's only relatively recently that the ethics police decided that only broadside or slight quartering away shots are acceptable. In reality though, for most people out there in the woods, those really are the only ethical shots. Either they can't shoot well enough to do anything else or they don't know the animal's anatomy well enough to do anything else.

There are a good many other shot angles that I'd take, UNDER THE CORRECT CIRCUMSTANCES, and be just as sure of a quick, clean, humane kill. But I won't list them and certainly wouldn'ttalk about taking them. Darn sure wouldn't put them on video. And I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else, since I couldn't be sure their shooting skill and/or knowledge of anatomy is equal to my own.

The famous Texas Heart Shot is deadly. Once you get past the pelvic arch, there is nothing but soft tissue between the butt and the liver/heart/lungs. Not to mention all those major arteries in between. But what a foul, awful, stinking mess to clean up! I wouldn't take it, or any other shot that'd have to pass through the guts to get to the vitals,just for that reason alone.

Now, I didn't see this shot. And there seems to be some disagreement whether it was really a THS or a severe quartering away shot. At any rate, I'd be slow to pass judgement simply because I wasn't standing in the guy's shoes when he took the shot.

Quick Reply: Another Black Eye for Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.