HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another Black Eye for Hunting
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another Black Eye for Hunting

It's only relatively recently that the ethics police decided that only broadside or slight quartering away shots are acceptable. In reality though, for most people out there in the woods, those really are the only ethical shots. Either they can't shoot well enough to do anything else or they don't know the animal's anatomy well enough to do anything else.

There are a good many other shot angles that I'd take, UNDER THE CORRECT CIRCUMSTANCES, and be just as sure of a quick, clean, humane kill. But I won't list them and certainly wouldn'ttalk about taking them. Darn sure wouldn't put them on video. And I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else, since I couldn't be sure their shooting skill and/or knowledge of anatomy is equal to my own.

The famous Texas Heart Shot is deadly. Once you get past the pelvic arch, there is nothing but soft tissue between the butt and the liver/heart/lungs. Not to mention all those major arteries in between. But what a foul, awful, stinking mess to clean up! I wouldn't take it, or any other shot that'd have to pass through the guts to get to the vitals,just for that reason alone.

Now, I didn't see this shot. And there seems to be some disagreement whether it was really a THS or a severe quartering away shot. At any rate, I'd be slow to pass judgement simply because I wasn't standing in the guy's shoes when he took the shot.