Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting for a living >

hunting for a living

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting for a living

Old 02-24-2006, 01:04 PM

Default RE: hunting for a living

Sorry, I just can't imagine my regular job being better then hunting. I kinda think if we could all go out and freeze our tails off month after month we would. Right now it just doesn't pay the bills.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine used to post here --no.1gamewarden. He and I used to hunt together all the time before he became a gamewarden, but now we usually are limited to spring turkey seasons. He says that spending each and every day of the fall traipsing through the woods looking for poachers, sitting in known poaching areas, etc. make him less and less eager to go BACK to the woods to hunt after working in them all day, every day. By spring, that has worn off somewhat and he takes time off to hunt with me.

I used to draw quite a bit as a kid--I've got a bit of God-given talent there. THEN, I took a couple years of art in Hihg school when I was forced to draw everyday--not just when I wanted to. I got burned out on it and rarely ever draw now.

Sure it would be nice to be able to enjoy your hobbies as your livelihood, but when it becomes work, the joy often leaves.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:14 PM

Probably who ya know will help in becoming a pro hunter. Me, I live to go hunting. I wouldn't want to become a pro (tv that is). Too much pressure to perform.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Do ya think that the guys that tape for "Girls gone Wild" get tired of their job.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's easy, find someone willing to spend alot of money to pay you, your cameraman, and your expenses. Then, have him market your video's to a publisher and hope someone takes it.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

It means they pay him $100,000 a year just to shoot their cool looking bows......
Uh... yeah, that's it... or something like that!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:48 PM

I WISH!!!!!!!!

nathan
Old 02-24-2006, 06:24 PM

me 2
ORIGINAL: gutshot

I'm with Rob. I've always heard that you should try to do something that you love for a living because it will make you hate it.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 PM

interesting thought, i wonder if i would get tired of hunting if i did it for a living
Old 02-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I can tell you how I plan on doing it. I'm a telecommunications major at Ball State University, currently ranked 4th in the nation for that major. My emphasis is in video production. My plan is to produce hunting videos for a living, as well as film, and hunt. I've talked to numerous hunting "celebrities" and they've all told me the same thing. " You need to put some footage together with good kill scenes and prior and post-hunt interviews. The key to getting a good show is to work hard at getting the details. Camera has to be steady, good kill shots, follow up with camera, and recovery interviews." One of the biggest things a lot of companies are just starting to do is putting the story together behind the hunt. I find this the most exciting part of the show. I like to see what people do in order to take their deer. I like seeing how they work hard at scouting and putting in food plots. That kind of documentation before the hunt really helps lead up to the harvest. The information I've recieved has been from numerous celebs such as Mark and Terry Drury (my personal friends by this point due to the many convos we've had on the phone), and David Blanton. Blanton really got me excited about being a producer and told me that was the ticket to getting in front of the camera. For me, my life goal is to produce videos for a company (such as Drury Outdoors, which once i'm out of school I can get an internship) and eventually be one of the guys in front of the camera. I'm not looking for lots of fame, I just like people and like to be in front of the camera doing my thing. It's just a lot of fun for me. I've always been told in life by my father and on teacher I had in high school that I was fond of, that you should love the jobs you have in your life. When I was a junior-higher, I realized what could ever be better than sitting in the woods hunting, while making money. For me that's just a bonus. Just sitting in the woods hunting is the best part of it for me. Like I said the best advice that I've heard is pick up a camera and start filming. I'm very passionate about filming hunts and love to do it. Next year I'm hoping to put together a series of shows from my brother's and I's hunts here at home. I'm going to really work hard on this one. Get involved in the filming hunts aspect if you really want to go somewhere with it. If you really want it bad, I'm a firm believer that it can happen for you. If this is something you're really interested in and want to do then man I'm pumped for ya. Obviously i get kinda reved up just talking about it, but what can I say it's my passion.

Tim Freeze

Quick Reply: hunting for a living

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.