Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 expandable or fixed? >

expandable or fixed?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

expandable or fixed?

Old 02-19-2006, 06:14 PM

Default expandable or fixed?

i have heard many things about broadheads. Expandables shoot as good as field tips but they dont always expand. Fixed are always "open" but they dont always fly exactly the same a s field tips. What is anyones opinions?
Old 02-19-2006, 06:20 PM

Default RE: expandable or fixed?

If you're new to archery...please please do yourself a favor...tune the bow properly and go with fixed broadheads.

I'll never stray from the muzzy 3 blade fixed heads man. I've heard of way too many horror stories of guys losing deer due to the mechanical heads not opening.

Fixed blades man. Match that with feathers on your arrows and you won't go wrong.

good luck
Old 02-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

I've used Spitfires on deer and turkey and have no complaints whatsoever. I have no problem using them. That said, I've found the Nitrons and Montecs G5's fly true to my setup and that's probably what will tip my arrows this season. My bow wasn't tuned as well as it should have been although I was getting good groups. The Nitron flew with the field tips but the G5's and the Muzzy's weren't, which in my experience was the giveaway that I needed some adjustment. I have some cheaper blades that don't fly quite as true but I think a lot of the better blades you can get to fly with you field tips especially the smaller cut diameter like the Nitron and G5's. I think they are both 1 1/16". I may use the Spitfires for turkey. I have no problem recommending them but I would also revisit my bow to make sure I had done everything possible to get the best flight out of the fixed.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:52 PM

i personaly like fixed blade better.with that said when i switshed to carbons i had a bad time getting them to shoot out of my mathews Q2.os i shot spit fires out of them with great results on deer.i did hit a bid buck in the shoulder 2 years ago with those spitfires and couldnt find it.now i know the shot was bad but in the back of my mind still think i mite had better penatrion with a fixed blade. who knows!!!!!!my opion try to get fixed blades to shoot if not use expandables.pay extra care of staying away from that shoulder.i bought a new mathew switchback xt and so far it is shooting thunder heads and muzzies great!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 07:11 PM

I go on alot of blood trails a year and have always seen less blood or very poor blood trails with thunderheads and muzzys, expandables have been very good trails some buddys shoot rockets was very impressed went to them 3 years ago trails have been great and yrds of recovery has gone down considerably might consider a fixed for game like elk or bigger but for deer and smaller there will allways be a rocket in my quiver. With agood chisel tip and large cut for turkeys.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:53 PM

i shoot both, shoot what you can tune in your setup. Key word there being tune.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

check my link out. It should help you get an idea of what to look for.
http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html