Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

fixed vs. expandable

Old 11-21-2005, 03:13 PM
swanny evans

Default fixed vs. expandable

I am currently shooting fixed broadheads and was thinking about switching to expandable. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for waht kind of expandables to get.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:13 PM

Default RE: fixed vs. expandable

I did a bunch of research on what brand to get also. I decided on the New Archery Products (NAP) Spitfire. Here are the reasons why:

1) They don't require o-rings to keep blades retracted during flight.
2) They offer practice blades so you can practice with the actual component you will be hunting with.
3) No more worrying about your point of impact changing from practice days to hunting days.
4) Solid company with well designed products
5) NAP has great customer service and technical service if you ever need it.
6) 1.5 inch cutting diameter from a 100 grain tip.

I believe they offer the best mechanical broadheads on the market. Here is the link to the product. http://www.newarchery.com/broadheads/spitfire.asp
Old 11-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pick one and go kill a deer, they all work on deer.
I bought some cheap ones this year from wal-mart, the brand, Eastmon Archery.
10 bucks for 3, they did a wonderfull job this year.
Ive used the wasp jack hammers in the past with great success also.
but really they all work and work good.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of the mechanicals that I tried already, I give the Rocket brand two thumbs up. I'm currently trying out the Rocky Mtn Snypers, and I hate them already!! Way to flimsy!! Come next year, I'm going to give the Slick-Trick heads a serious try!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Swanny......I see you had some trouble on your last two deer, so be careful on why you want to change to mechanicals.(I'm asuming you want a bigger blood trial) Shot placement isstill by far the most important aspect in whether a broadhead works. You need to be carefull with mechanicals. First, does your bow set-up have enough KEto handle a large mechanical (1 3/8" or bigger). I shoot mechanicals. Your shot placement is even more crucial then with fixed heads. Mechanicals and bone don't mix well, compared to fixed heads. Next, I really try to stay away fromany odd angle shots.....you needpatientice for good abroadside shots or let'm walk. Fixed heads will get better penetration than a large Mechanical. There are many shots I wouldn't take withMechanical that I would take with a fixed head. If you have enough KE....its dosen't matter. I thinka 60 KE is the least to shoot a large mechanical.

So why do I shoot a mechanical?.......I like big blood trails and I have a KE of 66. I shoot 11/2" or 1 3/4" mechanicals. I wait for very good broadside shots where my arrow will penetrate both sides of the chest cavity....lungs. If you shoot 'm there, fixed or mechanical really dosen't matter! But it is fun following a big blood trail.

Good Luck!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:09 AM
swanny evans

Thank you for the advice i talked to one of the guys i hunt with and he suggested 4 blade muzzy and with what you said cloud 9 i think i might try those.

Old 11-22-2005, 05:10 AM
swanny evans

I think im also gonna look into the spitfires though.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/index.html
Follow my link it should help you decide.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:31 PM

I have been shooting the rocket steelhead for 3 years. I am exteremly pleased with there performance. Pass through on every shot.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am using the Vortex Mini Max 3 100gr head. Shot a doe with it this year and she only went 35 yards. I saw her lay down at about 15 yards but got up and walked anther 20 yards and she was done. Love this mechanical. It also has a 2 inch cutting diameter. Just make sure before using this head you have enough KE to shoot through a deer.

Brian

Quick Reply: fixed vs. expandable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.