Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 (updated)What is the practical difference Trykon vs XL? >

(updated)What is the practical difference Trykon vs XL?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(updated)What is the practical difference Trykon vs XL?

Old 02-14-2006, 02:25 PM

Default (updated)What is the practical difference Trykon vs XL?

First, hello to everybody! I'm new to this site...have been lurking for
months and really enjoy it. I live in Alabama, been a rifle hunter since childhood and a bowhunter (almost exclusively now) for 8 years. Can't go back

I currently shoot a Matthews Legacy 29in. 68lbs. Test drove the Trykon xl, Tribute, Switchback (and others) . All of them made me feel obsolete with my Legacy which was the sweetest shooter I tried when I bought it 3-4 years ago.

I'm looking for opinions on the practical difference between the Trykon and the Trykon XL other than the obvious three inches. How should I expect them to perform vs. the other. In other words, what does the 3 inches get you in perfomance?

Thanks, Lucky
Old 02-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is the practical difference Trykon vs XL?

The 3 inches is mainy for taller hunters who would feel more comfertable with a longer bow.Everything else is the same

Old 02-14-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Thanks solberg

I had someone tell me that the XL is significantly better for shooting 3D targets (which I've never done) and is worth the extra 3 in.

If there is no significant trade off then the added mobility in the tree and ground blind will come in handy. Thanks again for your response
Old 02-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thanks solberg

The longer the ATA, usually the more forgiving a bow but with todays longer brace heights, the shorter ATA bows sem to be forgiving as well. Prior to just ordering the Bowtech Allegiance, 34 ATA I've never shot a bow under 36" ATA which is what the Trykon XL is at. The standard Trykon at 33" inches however does bost the same reflex geometry with only a 1/2 inch shorter brace height. I recommend a longer draw length shooter shooting the shorter ATA bows, use a string loop which I find unnecessary on the longer ATA bows however, it comes down to personal preference. Oddly the shorter Trykon only boasts a 2 fps speed difference...so, it comes down to your preference in bows.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Thanks solberg

Here is what I have seen on the subject:

People have mentioned when testing the both the XL and the regular Trykon that the XL might illeviate some of the harsh draw cycle that people tend to feel when drawing the Trykons.

Then others say that the XL has less vibration, as well as anbetter overall feel throughout the shot.

Still others say that you can't feel a difference between the two.

I don't have an opinion because I have only shot the regular Trykon before I bought mine. I wish I could have had shot the XL but that wasn't an option.

Other reports note a difference between the leftoff percentage and overall feel of the shot. (65% vs. 80%).

Most importantly, anything you hear about the bows is usually personal preference, rather than a universal fact. Everyone prefers somethingdifferent in a bow. Youwouldn't imagine the differences people come up with, evenwhen they shoot the exact same bow.

Hoyt rates the XL a bit slower on their website but not enough to even notice a difference at the range. (2 fps)

So, if possible, Iwould suggest you shoot both the Trykon and the XL and decide for yourself.

EDIT: Rob beat me to the punch on some of the topics mentioned above.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Thanks Rob

I read the threads on your search for a new bow...thorough, helpful.....and entertaining at times

I absolutely loved the Tribute and the Trykon XL, Switchback too for that matter...would be proud to own any of those three for sure.

The Hoyt just hit me right .....and the wait for tax refund is ON!!!!!

Would really rather have the 33in ata Trykon but if there was a significant accuracy difference that would matter.

Got a great local shop in Prattville, Ala. Owner is going to set both up for me prior to making a final decision between the two. At this point I've only shot the XL......I felt my hard earned $$ fly right out of my hand the moment I shot those three....it was over. Wasn't if....just which one and when.

My Legacy has served well....zero problems but boy have these companies gotten better and better (including Matthews). Thanks for your insights.

*Edit to include thanks to bols too
Old 02-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thanks Rob

I think you'll absolutely love the Trykon 33ATA....it's the one I would have choose over the XL and still might come home with it as well as the Allegiance.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:17 PM

Default RE: What is the practical difference Trykon vs XL?(updated)

Test drove both today....Trykon and XL

My local shop got several new ones in today....hooked me up for a
side by side comparison between 33ata & 36ata Trykons

Both of course were smooth as silk...I drew the XL smoother than the 33in. Likely because it was closer to what I'm used to. I was hitting the
back wall a bit harder with the 33in. Both shot like a dream.....no hand shock with either one. It's a beautiful thing....

That now makes 4 new bows that I've tried out and 4 masterpieces!!

Trykon, Trykon XL, Bowtech Tribute and Matthews Switchback...Just incredible what these guys keep doing to bring better and better stuff
to sell every year.

Tax refund coming.....!!

Gonna go all out for my perfect set up....

Trykon XL
Rip-Cord
Hunter Hogg-it
Continue to improve my practice habits in order to bring operator to same quality as equipment

Any thoughts on stababizers or quivers for this proposed rig?

Old 02-20-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Hey guys, back to answer my own question

After extensive shooting of both the Trykon and the Trykon XL maybe now I can offer some opinions of the practical difference btween the two.

For ease of communication I'll call the Trykon 33 (ata) and the XL 36 (ata)

1) Feel in my hand- The 33 is a bit lighter and obviously shorter therefore would be easier to tote around all day. For instance, I hunt a good bit in New Mexico walking around all day and also hunt a lot in Alabama sitting on my rear end all day. The lighter shorter 33 would really be nice in NM, not so important in Bama other than the ease of movement while in a tree.

2) Draw cycle- Both are super quite and both are smooth as silk. The 33 gets "over the hump" a bit more abruptly but both are very smooth and quite.

3) Noise- Both are super quite- the sound that my ears heard (obviously a very subjective observation) was slightly higher pitched with the 33 and a little deeper with the 36. Quieter than anything I've ever shot (as was the Tribute and Switchback) though and exceeded my expectations.

4) Accuracy- For a point of reference I will describe myself. I am a moderately experienced shooter of average skill. I have no formal training in archery. I do practice alot and with my Legacy shoot about 4 in. groups from 20 yards. My groups improved to about 3 in. with both the 33 and the 36. The only difference is the occasional "stray" I experienced with the shorter bows. The 36 was more consistent (for me).

Bottom line....It came down to 2 things for me. The 33 will be easier to carry, easier to bring to draw in any situation. The 36 will likely be a bit more forgiving of my shooting flaws and is still plenty managable in the field.

I bought the 36 and absolutely love it. Shot many arrows this weekend from the ground and from a tree at targets. The confidence of accuracy part won out for me and the bow has causedmy resultsto improve. I believe that this bow is much better than me at this point and will keep delivering at a higher level as I improve myself.

Love the sport,
Lucky
Old 02-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hey guys, back to answer my own question

You're just not going to notice a significant difference at normal hunting distances between the standard and the XL. At shot inside of 40 and with normal sized groups, you just won't notice it. However, if ultimate long range 3D groups is your game then by all means the difference a few points can make at the end of the day can make all the differece playing the game. They are both excellent bows but if you're looking for the slightly more compact, deadly hunting machine.... you'll do well with the Trykon 33". It's the machine that I have settled on agter looking at many different makes and models.