Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shed/antler trap? >

shed/antler trap?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shed/antler trap?

Old 02-08-2006, 08:59 PM

Default shed/antler trap?

I know I've seen this asked before, but I can't seem to locate the tread...but I was wondering if anyone has made a shed trap out of chicken wire? I've been wanting to get some sheds from the bucks on our property--but with college taking up 5 days of the week and living over an hour away, I don't have the time to run the trails and fence/field lines numerous times (though I do when I have a free weekend)...

Anyways...I remembered someone mentioning chicken wire as an antler trap, but I'm thinking that would get tangled in the antlers and make for a bad situation--anyone have some advice or first-hand experience?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shed/antler trap?

chicken wire seems kinda dangerous to me if the antlers get stuck in it because not all antlers are ready to come off..plus the bucks will probably just crawl under it anyways, IMO i dont think you should use a shed trap... just use the free weekends and free time you can get to go look for sheds
Old 02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have used them in the past and this year with a lot of success. I usually use 4 garden stakes and wrap the chicken wire around it. I hold it on with normal no.9 wire. put corn in the center of the trap, come back in a couple of days and pick up your sheds. Never had a deer pull the wire off or anything like that!
Old 02-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

it does work but i have never tried but have seen it work
Old 02-09-2006, 07:19 PM

GEEEZ, I'm sure it works, but what if the buck is not ready to lose his antlers and he gets tangled in the wire and panics. This is something I have used that works, and it is all natural [&:].

I cut a 50 gallon drum in half and dump corn into that and putplace itsnug against the base of a cedar or pine tree with low branches. When a buck comes to feed he has to knock his antlers around a little bit getting down to the corn, not any different than making a rub. If the antlers are ready, the banging on the branches knocks them off. But like Ohio said, I still find more antlers and learn the most, hoofin' it around come spring.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Spike

I heard of a neat way to trap antlers. Fill 5 gal. bucket with corn and fill it with water and freeze it solid. Warm it up just enough to pop it loose from the bucket and set it under some brush. The deer will try so hard to get at the corn that they will thrash around and knock their antlers off. This way your corn last lots longer (depending where you live) and you aren’t buying lots of costly corn. This method is also all natural and you don’t have to worry about hurting any deer.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a Good idea to me

Dan

Originally Posted by MNpurple
GEEEZ, I'm sure it works, but what if the buck is not ready to lose his antlers and he gets tangled in the wire and panics. This is something I have used that works, and it is all natural [&:].

I cut a 50 gallon drum in half and dump corn into that and putplace itsnug against the base of a cedar or pine tree with low branches. When a buck comes to feed he has to knock his antlers around a little bit getting down to the corn, not any different than making a rub. If the antlers are ready, the banging on the branches knocks them off. But like Ohio said, I still find more antlers and learn the most, hoofin' it around come spring.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have the natural way.......its called walk the trails and look, it's more exciting and you get that much needed winter exercise.