Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you all do?? >

What would you all do??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you all do??

Old 02-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Spike

Default What would you all do??

Let me set the stage....I have a place close to work that I can get into quickly. Been there since I started bowhunting 15 years ago. Deer are everywhere. This past fall, a guy, my COUSIN no less informs me thru someone elsethat HE is going to hunt there as he lives in this town and its his right. Igot permission before he did (law) so he went to the guy and gotit (after he threw up a stand). Ileft a message for him to please contact me, ive been in the spot for 15 years and heard he was goingto putup a stand there. He showed up at my work, telling me he didnt give a SH&%how long Id been there and he was going in there andI could go F$%^ myself and drove off still swearing at me.He said he was watching and I hadnt been in there in a couple years...guess he's not too observant, I use a climber and I HAD been there. He said he works and lives right near there so its his right to hunt there. I chalked it up to him just being a loser and went elsewhere. I felt like going in while he was there and sitting in the next tree over just to piss him off!

Now the problem...I dont want to give in and plan on getting back in there this season. What do you all think I should do? just put my stand in there and hope he doesnt bother me or use some other tactic? I thought of asking the landowner not to grant him permission this year. Fact is, this small area will be the only huntable area this season as they are developing the other parts of the property this summer. It will probably make it even better in my area as it will push the deer into it.

D
Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Default RE: What would you all do??

Well, first I would never speak to your cousin again. Second, I would ask the landowner why he would do that behind your back. That was wrong on both their parts. I don't know if I would trust either of them.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Spike

I havent spoken to the cousin and wont any longer.....

Im thinking, giving the benefit of the doubt, that the landowner didnt expect he was going to put his stand in the next tree over from where I put mine. The land is many acres. In fact, not only did he put a stand in my spot, he put one on the other side of the property in a couple spots.

D
Old 02-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

put up a couple decoy stands in some off the wall spots. that way he will think thats where you hunt. then take the climber in to your good spots. ole tactic we use. sometimes out foxing the other hunters is more of a challenge then the hunt itself
Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talk to the land owner and see if he would consider cash renting it to you. Then you decide who hunts it.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why can't you share the land and work together? I dont' want to sound like an arse, but he does appear to have the same right as you to hunt the land. I understand the fact that he should have consulted with you about it since you have been there 15 years as a courtesy. But, being there 15 years unfortunately doesnt' give you ownership of the land or any leverage IMO. I'd try to keep it civil and see if you can work something out without it turning into a war.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Spike

NY,

Two things, first and most important, it isnt the fact of him hunting the land in general, it is the fact that this one area of that land is where he chose to put his stand, knowing thats where I put mine. He could have put 15 stands up on any other part of the property as far as I was concerned.

second, its the way he did it, trying to keep it a secret, did he think I wouldnt notice his stand in the tree next to mine?

Im kicking myself for not calling the game warden when I first checked and saw his stand in there after hearing about it. At that point he didnt have permission. If I would have known he'd run to the landowner after the fact and get permisson and then act like an ass, I would have called. In fact, being that I am in law enforcement myself, I would have taken joy in busting him myself but we dont do Fish & Wildlife's work for them. I personally didnt think family would do that. He's always been friendly with me.

D
Old 02-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Man I keep hearing about this stuff and it really must take the fun out of hunting for you guys. Next thing he will be stealing your stands, flattening tires on truck, etc. What a joke. Do you have any public land in your area to hunt? If you do, walk in farther than the average joe to get away from this crap. You have too many other stresses in life to deal with to have to deal withstress in your hobby.

Does this guy have any reasoning to where you could talk him into working as a team. I know your first thought is forget that, but think about this...He could hunt one side of the property and you could hunt the other. Sounds like he is trying to compete with you. He's probably tired of hearing all the talk of your past success and he wants a taste of it.Best way to nip that in the butt is to make him a team member and put him to work.Use him to your advantage. You know the property better than he does, you know where the deer run to when they are spooked, you know what the nautural wind directions are, etc. Take all that info and use it to your advantage and keep a smile on your face. You don't have to be best friends with this guy, but trying to resolve this issue in another way may be more beneficial in the long run. You don't want to be sitting up in your tree stand all day filled with hate woundering what he will do to you next. That will not make hunting fun.Ifhe won't leave,I say make him a team mate. One that will assist you without him really knowing that. I find that everything in life is a test and once we get past the difficult part you would be amazed at what good could come from it. Once agianour natural insticts are not the best (I'm still learning this). Fightyour first instict that is based off of angerand get to the good that will come. All of us crave camaraderie, this could be the person you receive it from.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:02 PM

Well, your question was what would I do...

In the "before" part when he came to see you, I would have discounted how long I've been hunting the spot, explain that he put a stand really close to mine and ask if he wouldn't mind not hunting his stand while I'm in mine. More along the lines of what MilDot had to say.

If he didn't go along with that, well then I'd just have to find a way to work around it myself. If he's that much of an ah@le, I don't wanna be hunting anywhere near him.

Now though? I'd simply call him, tell him that I'm sorry we had a disagreement, I hope to see him in the woods when I'm out there (oh and by the way, this is when I'm usually there) and leave it at that.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:28 PM

Whoneeds enemies when you have cousins like that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.