Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you all do?? >

What would you all do??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you all do??

Old 02-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you all do??

I would try to work something out with your cousin and get along. For god sakes your family....
Old 02-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree dont talk to the cousin again, but I also think you need to talk to the landowner and explain what happened. I really don't think he wants a guy like that hunting on his land. Also, if your ex-cousin hadnt seen you in a couple years, why did he place a stand near yours. And yes I would have set up nearby, knowing I might not see anything either but for spite! [:@]
Old 02-09-2006, 02:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I would encourage him to hunt it. I would even encourage him to shoot the big boy. There is so much land out there to hunt and your bickering over a few acres. Shame on you. If there is one thing I've learned bow hunting all these years, is the fact the 3 people can set up in a triangle 60 yrds apart and still have opportunity at a big boy.

For the mountain bike trail, so what. I hunt a few spots with public trails less then 30 yrds from my tree. Deer don't mind. In fact it's fun to be there while people are walking by. I've shot deer less then 5 mins after people walked by being towed by their dogs. That's where hunters screw up. They think just because someone else has come into the woods, you have no chance of shooting anything. If you did your home work you still should be good. They keep the deer moving and are a great scent cover for you.

Good luck. It's not the end of the world.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Spike

Wow, this has become a hotter topic than I expected!

I have one more question for those of you who say suck it up and move on or make nice and work it out.......

HONESTLY, if you were in this situation, your absolute BEST ever stand location that you had worked on and relocated until you got it just right, and a family member came in, told you he didnt care if you were there the last however many years and he was putting a stand up right there, basically pushing you out...you'd just move on? This isnt a good hunting buddy now that you share stands with, this is someone who just moved in and took over your best spot without even trying to talk to you about it and work it out....now you're expected to work it out?........Honestly now.

As I said before, Im probably just moving on anyway to another place that I have permission on now. I would rather spend my time this fall hunting successfully than to use that time to screw up his new area and then end up empty handed myself. Not that the vindictive side of me wouldnt love to make him waste his time in this stand with no deer sightings. I guess a few bird hunting trips with my retriever during the day thru this woodlotwould be enjoyable!!!

Just a side note on landowners etc in this state, it is only recently that VT law stated that you had to have permission to put a stand on someones land. We are different than other states, if its not posted, its open to hunting...period....the only permission you need by law is for stands and blinds to be erected. I have always gotten permission anyway as that is my style and ethics but by law, you dont have to and my time hunting on this landstarted wellbefore that law came into effect and before it was ever a posted land. I have always worked with this landowner and kept in touch. It isnt farmland, it is wooded and the owner is extremely wealthy and hardly ever in residence at his home so there isnt much opportunity to offer help working the land or otherwise. He hires groundskeepers, housekeepers, land managers, caretakers,whatever he wants. This is in a resort town with tons of money so its a bit different than country farmland where you can offer help with chores etc.

D
Old 02-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

As I said before, Im probably just moving on anyway to another place that I have permission on now. I would rather spend my time this fall hunting successfully than to use that time to screw up his new area and then end up empty handed myself. Not that the vindictive side of me wouldnt love to make him waste his time in this stand with no deer sightings. I guess a few bird hunting trips with my retriever during the day thru this woodlotwould be enjoyable!!!
No need to move on just both of you hunt. I did have someone screw up an area I loved to hunt and I introduced him to it. I moved on he lost interest and I can now hunt there again. I just say there is plenty of places to hunt out there. You just need to always be looking.

Sometimes it's a very bad habit. I'm in Scotland this week but I'm catching myself looking in the urban areas for whitetail. Like I'm going to see any.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:15 AM

Sometimes it's a very bad habit. I'm in Scotland this week but I'm catching myself looking in the urban areas for whitetail. Like I'm going to see any.
LOL...I can't LOOK at a piece of land without wondering what the whitetail situation is, or if there are any good trails to mountain bike.