Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

paper tune???

Old 01-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: paper tune???

My Colts 'Dungied' that game. He's been known to have his players come out flat, and never vary from his game plan. I love the guy..one of the best in regular season matchups...but doesn't understand the difference of the game in the playoffs.

I eyeball my setup as well, and could probably get away with not paper tuning. But, I like to do it just to make a fine adjustment if need be. It can't hurt anything, that's for sure (in my experience).
Old 01-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also like to paper tune to make sure everything is prety exact. For the extra few moments it takes to do it, i'm surprised so many people feel so strongly about it. It definetely helps with the broadheads flying straight.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel that bareshaft tuning is more helpful to me than paper tuning. Right now, from 20 yards a bare shaft, field tip and broadhead will stack up on eachother. I found it a little bit less frustrating. good luck.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:10 PM

[quote]I don't really paper tune all that much either. I feel it is an ok way to start just to see if something is really off, but usually I can get things pretty close by eyeballing stuff when I set it up. If I do paper tune I don't drive myself crazy trying to get a perfect bullet hole anymore.

I would never shoot my bow thru paper once I start to fine tune it. If its shooting good I don't really want to know what it doing thru paper a few feet from my bow. Just more reasons to second guess yourself or your equipment.
[quote]
Old 01-28-2006, 07:40 PM

digi so far that looks good. from what distance did you shoot those? I start close to the paper 5 feet and then back up to 10 feet then 15 feet then 20 feet. If you can have similar results at those distances it tells me that your set up close and you spine is OK. Next you can shoot at distance 15 - 20 yards and check groups. After than screw on the broad heads and see where they impact. You might have to fine adjust to get filed tip and broad head together. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replys everyone

The distance was about 5-10 feet. I have been shooting decent groups on this bow for the last year. I just feel my groups could get tighter and decided to try the paper tune just to see. I actually shootfeathers to the person that mentioned vanes. I did alot of tuning last year when I put the whisker buiskut on the bow because it was chewing up feathers pretty fast. My stingers fly with my fieldpoints.

Just as a side note, how tight should my groups be at 20, 30, 40 yards before I can consider myself a pretty good bowman? I am the only one within my family and friends that bowhunts so I have no way to evaluate my skill level.

I shoot a yellow jacket target and I can pretty much keep all of my arrows in the circle at 20,in an immediately around thecircleat 30.

Thanks again

[/align]