Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 65% or 75% let-off? >

65% or 75% let-off?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

65% or 75% let-off?

Old 01-20-2006, 04:09 PM

Default 65% or 75% let-off?

This passed season a doe came in and went behind a clump oftrees allowing me to draw. Well, I quietly drew and waited but it took forever to come out from behind that clump. I held the bow at full draw for about a minute and a half before it stepped out. When it finally did I still had to wait for it to walk passed another smaller tree. Of course it was tip-toeing and that took another 15 sec. By this timewith all the anticipationalong with theheart-pounding that was going onI couldn't hold the bow anymore so I let it down. At that point I was busted.

So... would it be worthwhile to utilize my 75% let-off module instead of the current 65? Or should I just concentrate on improving stand location so I don't have to wait another 15 sec once the deer come out from behind the blind? I also thought that I couldinstead wait til the deer have walked passed me and are quartering away. This way there's less chance of being busted trying to draw at the right time.

And if I do switch to the 75% module, what are the drawbacks if any? A fellow member said:
The modules will not change draw weight or length, just letoff. Believe it or not, I find the 75% letoff harder to shoot. There is so little holding weight that my bow arm tends to move around more than with the 65% module.
I have an '03 Hoyt Cybertec with the cam and a half system. It's currently at 60 pounds and set on the 65% dark colored module,NOT the 75% green colored module.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:45 PM

Default RE: 65% or 75% let-off?

If i were you and were contemplating this i would have somebody time me while i hold at full draw with 65% untill i start to shake ,then do the same thing with75%.The difference is only 6 pounds of holding weightbut that might just be enough for you to wait that deer out next time.I think the only drawback is that you might loose a bit of speed,maybe not enough to notice.Good luck.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:19 PM

Well, I currentlyshoot 370 total grains at 250 fps. What kind of speed losscould anyonegestimate changing to the 75% module wouldequal?

Inspecting the cams I don't understand how you could set it up to only use the green modules. Is there anything additional I have to buy to make my bow 75% let-off?

Also, I timed myself holding the bow at full draw. At 2 min 40 sec I felt my bow arm shake to the point where I wouldn't release an arrow at an animal. In the woods, in the presence of a deer, in 15 degree weather, coupled with adrenaline, I imagine that time cut in half. I know all it takes is 5 sec to draw, stop the animal, aim and release so that brings me back to what I said about stand placement and quartering away shots. Any thoughts?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Yeah i would look into alternate stand set-ups.Sometimes the deer just don't cooperate and youll have to let it go,it all comes down to making an ethical shot.If you have a good stand setup than wait till they are quartering away,that is still a high percentage shot.I would aim for the off shoulder.As far as speed loss i have no clue about that someone with more knowledge will have to answer that one.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:29 AM

Well I dont shoot either 65 or 75 I shoot 80 percent letoff so I hope I wont hav the same problem.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

65% is my preference. Even on my bows with adjustable letoff, I shoot them at 65%.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

80% let-off here as well.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hold back for a minute and a half with a 65% or a 75% you're going to have a problem. You don't practice like that and your muscles aren't trained for anything like that. I'd go with the 75% anyway,

Good Luck!