Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wet bow care?

Old 01-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wet bow care?

Hey ya'll, I'm planning on taking a co-worker on a hog hunt tomorrow and we are expecting rain. FINALLY! Anyway my bow has never been wet and I don't know how to take care of it if it gets rained on. I love my bow and want it to last, what do I need to do?
Thanks, Txrookie.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wet bow care?

Hopefully you've got some silicon lubricant/and or grease on the moving parts to help shed some water. When you get home from the hunt, take the time to wipe it down, shoot it a half dozen times to shake the water out of the hard to get places. If you have a can of that computer "Air in a Can", put on the little tube and clean in and around everywhere you can blowing out hidden moisture. Wipe it down again and lube. Allow to dry at room temperatur. No problem. Sometimes some of the screw heads will rust really easy. Put a dap of oil or grease on them.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Txrookie, dry your bow off with a towel when you get back to your vehicle. Lay it on a dry towel away from direct heat on your way home.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I towel dry it as well,but DO NOT use gun oil's or it'll ruin your paint finish.

nubo
Old 01-22-2006, 08:44 AM

Wax your strings before you leave and put a dab of oil or something on on all the screw heads. When you get home wipe it dry and let it sit in the open for a while (I hang mine on the wall anyway). Maybe wax the string again if you want.

Moisture and sunlight are bad on the strings.

Paul