Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Perfect Lightweight Portable Climbing System >

Perfect Lightweight Portable Climbing System

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Perfect Lightweight Portable Climbing System

Old 01-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Perfect Lightweight Portable Climbing System

I just discovered what I've been looking for for a long time. It's faster than tree steps, lighter and smaller than climbing sticks, weighs about one pound and can fit into my back pack. Rock climbers use these things to scale vertical rocks so they are load tested and safe. I just ordered two of them which should get me about 14 feet up into a tree. I'll use these with my Trophy Line Tree Saddle to have the ultimate lightweight versatile quiet mobile hunting system. My plan is to strap two of these to the tree and climb up. I'll be able to get up into the tree quickly and quietly. What do you guys think?

Old 01-18-2006, 07:59 AM

Default RE: Perfect Lightweight Portable Climbing System

How do they work? How do you attatch them to the tree?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:08 AM

No offense, but I cant see my 250lb butt hanging off of a tree on that thing.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a loop at the top of the ladder that you can run a strap through and strap it to the tree. I'll probably just use an Ameristep Strap on Step and run that strap through the loop on the ladderand climb up. When I get to the end of the first ladder I'll attach the second ladder in the same manner and continue up to my desired height.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not a bad idea, the only problem I see is there is nothing to hold the ladder away from the tree. It might be hard to climb like that. Climbing spikes and that sling you have might be a good combination.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 AM

Are you planning on taking the ladder with you after the hunt or leave it there for next time?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used climbing spikes but they scare me. It seems too easy for your foot to slip using the spikes. Have you ever used them?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cjsportsman

Are you planning on taking the ladder with you after the hunt or leave it there for next time?
I'd take it with me. I will still use traditional screw in steps for my permanent spots on private land. But for public land hunting where I want to be mobile and don't trust thieves the strap ladder / sling combo is what I'll use. I might screw an eye bolt into the tree and clip the ladder onto it with a caribiner clip.....
Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

So you have to climb the tree to attach the ladder? If you'r already up there, you don't need a ladder.

Apparently, i'm missing something.

Also I wouldn't hang it on a screw in step, the leverage would make this a dangerous set-up.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Badatta2d

So you have to climb the tree to attach the ladder? If you'r already up there, you don't need a ladder.

Apparently, i'm missing something.
No No.You stand on the ground, attachthe top of the ladder slightly above eye level with a strap. Then you climb up the ladder and repeat the process with a second ladder. Two ladders get you 13-14 feet up. Three ladders get you 20 feet up. It's the same idea as a climbing stick but much lighter and easier to carry.

Quick Reply: Perfect Lightweight Portable Climbing System

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.