Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shed catcher ?

Old 01-15-2006, 06:57 PM

Default shed catcher ?

Are they starting to drop them yet?? I heard something about some kind of shed catcher that is made out of chicken wire or something and when the deer go to eat the bait they hit there antlers on the wire and they fall off.Anyone heard of this ??
Old 01-15-2006, 07:04 PM

Default RE: shed catcher ?

Yeah, they are dropping and yes that works. You just have to anchor the wire basket to the ground.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:11 PM

mobowhuntr, have you had any experience using these and can you give me some details on how they are built??
Old 01-15-2006, 07:14 PM

Just build a cylindrical shaped basket out of chicken wire or something of that nature. If you already have a bait pile out, put it right smack in the middle of it, with the feed all around it. Just anchor it to the ground somehow, tent stakes or something similar. The larger the basket the better, but not huge.
The idea is that when a buck that is about to lose his antlers hits the food, the antler gets caught in the wire pulling it off. I have seen these work before.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:47 PM

but the buck might not get his antlers even close to the basket if the bait is all around the it.sorry im still a little confused
Old 01-16-2006, 10:09 AM

anyone else heard of these??
Old 01-16-2006, 10:27 AM

Yes I have heard of them, but if the buck is not ready to lose his antlers and gets caught in the chicken wire, you have a very bad situation. A buck that freaks out if his antlers are snagged and hurts himself in the panic, either not being able to get lose, or getting loose but with chicken wire tangled in his antlers. Personally I prefer pounding the woods and find them that way, great excercise and you can learn so much.

But, a way that I think does work great, find a cedar or pine tree with some very low branches and dump corn against the trunk of the tree. That way when a buck wants to eat, he has to push his rack down or through the branches to get the corn, banging his antlers the whole way. Its natural and a much less chance that a buck hurts himself than getting tangled in wire. I have seen this work.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:23 PM

Antlers are falling off early this year here in NY. An 8pt I have been watching lost his antlers two weeks ago. I found a fresh antler off a small buck almost 3 weeks ago. To make an antler trap out of page wire fence, fold the wire into the shape of a V and put the bait all the way back into the small part of the V.When the buck reaches back in to get the bait his antlers will touch the sides and fall off if they are ready. Make sure that the wire is secure (maybe between two trees). I never tried this, I read it in a magazine and I think it will work where someone feeds deer regularly.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too would also be concerned about a buck getting caught in the wire if his antlers weren't ready to come off.

One suggestion I read somewhere else on this board was to dump corn under a picnic table. That way they bump their antlers when the are sticking their head in for the corn. I would assume that any type of structure that causes the antlers to get bumped would work well though.