Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using a light

Old 10-16-2002, 08:46 AM

Default RE: Using a light

I tried NOT using my flashlight getting to my stand once................that's all it took!!! It's on everytime now.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:39 PM

Using a flashlight not only helps me to see where I am going but also lets other hunters know that Iam not a deer. I always use a light entering the woods and also exiting the woods. Like Coyote Seeker says to keep the beam pointed to the ground as much as possible, and also I use a small light like a mag light or something that isnt to bright.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:10 PM

I agree....I'am less concerned about spooking deer with a flashlight in the dark going in or coming out. I worry more about being mistaken for a deer by another hunter. A light also helps so you don't fall and get hurt or damage your hunting gear. I use a small light that I carry in my hand until I reach my stand and then I put it on the bill of my hat to rig up. I don't use the light when I climb the tree. I allow enough time so that I'am up in my tree for a 1/2 hour before the sun comes up so that all is quiet and thing's have settled down!!!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 07:48 PM

Here is my story. It was about 530 A.M. and i am walking through the timber with my flashlight as usual. I hear a crash and shine the light through the timber thinking coyote or somethin of that nature. Nope, 3 brown bodied animals heading for cover b/c i spoked them. But i shine my light on them and they actually stop, look at me, and then start feeding off the ground as if i was never there. Keep in mind this is a maglite with a good beam of light. I was pretty upset wondering why in the world they were moving so early considering sunrise wasnt until 545 or something like that. But the light actually made them quite running and just start doing what they were doing in the first place. Like they forgot i was there. It was kinda weird

Forever Hunter
Old 10-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2002, 06:01 AM

I went to my stand once without using a light....ONCE!

Be safe and use a light.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:23 AM

I've lost too many contact lens due to hitting my eyes or face with branches in the dark to not use a light. Safety first!