Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Yesterday evenings doe >

Yesterday evenings doe

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Yesterday evenings doe

Old 12-31-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Yesterday evenings doe

Yesterday evening I went out to hunt, hoping to catch a big buck Ive got on camera coming through the area, Well right at dark, in came two does and a button buck, at first, I didnt think Id get a shot, but one of the does came across the creek and turned quarting away in the open at 32 yards. I took the shot, and it looked good but it was hard, as it was getting really dark. The deer ran about 50 yards and stopped, and I didnt know if it walked off or dropped, it got too dark to see it, I got down and looked at my arrow, and it looked good with pink blood all over it, but white hair on the broadhead. I went home and got a lantern and some flashlights, and my nephew to help track. Well, with the lantern, we couldnt tell blood from rain on the leaves, and every flashlight we had went dead after a few minutes of looking, but I was discouraged by not finding lots of blood, just some for about the first 5 yards then nothing after it jumped over a creek. Reluctantly, we left the trail till this morning, hoping the coyotes wouldnt find it. First thing this morningI went back and it wasnt much better, just not much blood, and made one big circle up the ridge where she went and found nothing. I was getting depressed, and thought of my Weimaraner which Ive been wanting to train to bloodtrail, I went home and got her, and took her to the shot site,, long story short, 10 minutes later she found my doe, and I was pretty tickled. I had hit her high about the last rib, and exited low about the back of the lungs, It took out the stomach, liver, and barely clipped the back of one lung, and the deer went 100 yards, into some really thick brushy timber, the exit hole was plugged and not letting blood out, along with the leaves being really wet from previous rain. Im pretty excited to get her late in the season, and got a little more meat, not to mention a little ex[erience and confidence for my tracking dog. Sorry this was so long, just wanted to share with you all.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Yesterday evenings doe

Good for you man. Glad you got your doe.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:11 PM

Congrats on your doe. High Five on your recovery...glad you stuckwith it
Old 12-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

great story. glad the dog paid off. I don't want to think about the ones I couldn't find.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrads.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

congrats man.. i also shot a doe yesterday kinda the same as you.. broadhead had white hair on it but the rest of the arrow had pink blood on it , i never found mine tho.. she bled like a stuck pig for 300 yards and the blood trail went to nothing... hmm maybe i should come get ur dog [:-]
Old 12-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 01-01-2006, 01:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey trapper hunter where is the part of KY you live in located

Old 01-01-2006, 09:08 AM

Congradulations on the doe. The same sort of thing happened to me two weeks ago, but instead the deer was quartering to me slightly, and I couldn't really tell. When I found my arrow, it was soaked in blood and had white hair stuck to it all the way to the vanes. It was in the evening and we had the same problem with the flashlights. The blood trail just stopped on us, and after over two hours of looking I finally found her. I hit one lung, but she slightly jumped the string and faced to me, and the arrow went through her gut, too. Great story! haha I wish I had a dog like that.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:10 AM

Hey thats great!! dogs can be very usefull!!!