Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hoyt Powertech?

Old 12-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hoyt Powertech?

I plan on getting a new bow shortly and have been looking at a lot of bows on the net and at local sport shops. The Hoyt Powertech seems to look the coolest and have the nicest feel to me, i have not looked into it seriously yet. I was just wondering if anyone used one or had any expierence with it. Also i am open to suggestions for other bows. Thanks
Old 12-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hoyt Powertech?

I only handled one in a shop and find its the best value in a 2006 Hoyt this year. Lotta bow for the money. Really can't see much of an advantage buying a Vtec over that one.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:31 PM

I just bought one! I really like it. I did have a problem with the first one I had.I posted this on the Tech forum so I will make it short. The first one I had was a display so everyone and their brother had pulled it back or shot it. I bought it and noticed a popping soundin the lower cam. To the short of it I took it home and pulled it back and POP. The string broke. I took it back and got a new one, and the bow shop owner looked and found the bottomcam was loose and the string popped off and broke. He replaced my bow free of charge as well as gave me a discount on some add ons ie site, arrow rest etc... I AM NOT BASHING HOYT AT ALL! I think what happened was a fluke. I really enjoy shooting their bows and I can't wait to get my new one. I would recommend it to anyone
Old 12-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I saw one in a sportshop for $450, is that the price i can expect for them?
Old 01-01-2006, 01:15 AM

The going pricearound here is $499. If you can get one for $450 I would grab it up. Sounds like a great price.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

That does look like a sweet bow, especially for that low price.

One question- why a Powertech & a Lazertech? they almost look identical to me?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:13 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the limbs on the laser tech are different than the powertec. The powertec has the better laminated limbs. I believe the laminated limbs improve speed and are more durable than the GTX Limbs on the lasertec. This does not mean the lasertec is not a good bow, but I think a lot of people pick the Powertec for a little more money.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.hoyt.com/products/compounds.tpl

I'm not sure if that is correct or not, but it's showing both bows to come with Xt-1000 limbs.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:46 PM

I have not handled the 2006 Power-Tec. But I have a Power-Tec from I think it is 1998! Not sure if that is the year but it is when Hoyt first came out with the Tec series of bows. I am looking at getting the Trykon this spring. But I do plan on checking the Power-Tec out also!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe the add on the website is a misprint.The picture of the Lazertec is showing glass limbs and the picture on the Powertec shows the Xt1000 limbs.Look at them closely and you can see the Xt1000 limbs are recurved and the glass limbs are not.