Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE >

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE

Old 12-26-2005, 06:14 PM

Default WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE

Today I was out bowhuntin a real nice spot. I was there for probably 2 1/2 hours when I heard something walking through the timber. I got my bow up then cught some movement whatever it was it was black. Well I thought this thing crossed the creek well it didn't it walked down the creek towards me. Well it came up about 12 yards from me and turned out to be two dogs, Two that were not happy to see me. I freaked out I didin't know what to do one of the dogs took off because she couldn't figure out what I was and the other which was twice the size as the first sat at 10 yards barking and growling at me when all of the suddden he decided to make a run at me luckily he stoped at about 7 yards. I had my bow in my hands and about drew back on him because he tried to get that close. They both had I.D. tags on them so I knew they weren't wild but still scared the crap out of me. I would of had no other choice but to do something to defend myself if the dog had come much closer. Have any of you ever had to take a shot at something because you felt it was a threat. What do you think I should do next time to prevent this from happening.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE

I have never been in that position before, but I would have sent an arrow threw him
after the first growl. Thats just me...........
Old 12-26-2005, 06:59 PM

Wouldn't have wanted to be in your shoes having to come to draw, aim and release within the time it takes a running dog to close a 7 yard gap.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

that would have been a tough one. I would of prolly shot it jmo
Old 12-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

OH NO!!!!!!!! Here we go AGAIN![:'(]
Old 12-26-2005, 07:44 PM

throw something at it and scare it away...maby
Old 12-26-2005, 08:03 PM

wait til it gives you a nice broadside shot.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

if it has tags don't shoot it...unless it attacks....if they have tags then they are someone's pets who quite possibly just escaped for that day...now if they are mangy and vicious then do whatever you need to do but not if they have tags on them.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

I would of drawn back and only shoot if he came closer.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:37 PM

if it has tags don't shoot it...unless it attacks....if they have tags then they are someone's pets who quite possibly just escaped for that day...now if they are mangy and vicious then do whatever you need to do but not if they have tags on them.
[quote]ORIGINAL: fl.huntress

It's a good point about not shooting it if it has tags, but I think it might be tricky do draw a bow and shoot if a dog is attacking you. lol I'd be running! If I was in your position, and that dog already charged, was standing at seven yards, and looked like he was going to try it again, I would've arrowed him ppprrreeeettttttttttttyyyy quick. JMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.