Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE >

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE

Old 12-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE

Thats an easy one for me to reply to. When I bowhunt here, I have a 357 ruger with a 3" barrel on my side and a can of bear spray right beside it. Also on my opposite side a carry an opened shealthed 6" knife, so I do have a few options availiable as opposed to destroying it.
Prior to hunting season every year I rehearse an encounter as its always a good ideal to be prepared if an encounter were to happen.
I do know that if you waited until a charging dog was 7rds away and it was growling, you waited too long and making a killing shot with a bow at a mad dog with its adredilian flowing would of probably been unlikely, but as others had said, I probably would of put my bow between me and the dog and grab my knife in your situation since you probably don't have too many predators hunting you their and bear spray and a pistol are out of the question.
I do think if you did wound that dog and the dog went back to theowner with your arrow in it, you could possibly be charged for cruelty, ect., especially if you had no bite marks to prove it.
If I had to destroy it though, I wouldn't put it in a public hunting forum,.....S.S.S.

Bobby

Old 12-27-2005, 04:28 PM

10-4 I hear you 121553 and I was thinking of bringing some pepper spray with me next time. But this is the first incounter like this and I think it is probably unlikely to happen again.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:46 PM

1. Knife sheath unclipped
2. Bow pulled back

If I had ANY dog within 10 yrds. of me that LOOK'S like a threat to me it would have been shot. I dont really care if its not right, the dog shouldnt have been out running around in the first place.

Last year i was going to hunt over my uncles feeder. It was about 80yrds. away with a small shed about 20yrds. away from it. My cousin went out to help me set up because i was going to hunt off of the sheds roof. He was handing me my pack and a big mutt ran down the hill barking at us, and on instinct i pulled my bow back. It would not have bothered me a bit to shoot it. It would have had ahold of my little cousin and he couldnt have did much to get it off.

It is just my opinion just like all of you have your own. I would have shot.