Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Cabelas
2.41%
Bass Pro
2.41%
Beaman
18.07%
Carbon Express
24.10%
Easton
32.53%
Gold Tip
16.87%
Carbon Force
1.20%
Carbon Tech
2.41%
Sattelite
0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Arrow Brand

Old 12-23-2005, 06:25 AM

Default RE: Arrow Brand

Hey Paul not tring to start with any argument with you! I just stated what I was thinking at the time. You are right ' you did not say aluminums were cheaper! I was just stating the price difference in case anybody wanted to hear it!
I don't know if I could say I prefer one over the other because I really do not. I use both aluminum & carbons. I guess I would say that I do prefer carbons while hunting groundhogs in the summer. But that is about it & that is only due to the fact when shooting the hogs there are alot of rocks & such to deal with and the carbons hold up longer for hog hunting. although Easton 2512XX78's have held up for me in the past as well as the carbons.
Well enough of me rambling on just did not post my comment to offend you paul! Sorry if it did! Your reply sounded as it did so sorry if itdid!
Old 12-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Bemans and Eastons. Specifically the Beman Black Max for hunting this season.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just wondering why aluminum? My grandfather used to use them but I never have. I have thought about it though.
saltflat, that is a good question with many different answers. There is so much written on differences between the two. I hate doing this, but I'd suggest doing a search. You'll find tons of info.

Personally, I have tried carbons (carbon express 3d's)(but not in the past four years or so) , but they were just too finicky with fixed broadheads for my taste. I have theories of why including inconsistant spine around the axis of the shaft, as well as shaft to shaft comparisons. Some day, I may return and take another look at carbons, but not for a while.

Below is another reason why. Most carbon manufacturers suggest checking every arrow after every shot. Sorry, but I really don't want to do that. Yea, aluminums may break occasionally, but.....

Old 12-23-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Easton's XX-78 Super Slams in 2514.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Right now, the arrows I'm shooting most are unrefined carbon - Port Orford cedar.

My favorite 'carbon' arrow is actually a carbon/glass composite. Carbon Express Terminator Select. Favorite because they are very good arrows andI can afford to buy them and use them - even for stump shooting and hunting small game - without being afraid of breaking or losing one.

The carbon arrow I think is the absolute best is the good ol' Easton ACC, and it's a carbon/aluminum composite.With their price tag though... No waywould I use them for stumping or hunting small game. [:-]

What good is an arrow if it's so expensive you're afraid to shoot it?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use whatever arrow is best for the application I intend to use it for. I believe the top names and premium arrows out there are all pretty good choices.

I think I will continue to use Pro 22's for my 3D arrows for quite some time, because they are the lightest big diameter/linecutter style arrow out there with enough spine for a 70lb bow w/ speed cams.They have pretty good weight/straightness tolerances too. Since they are soooo darn stiff, they also seem to not have problems with any inconsistencies in spine, I think spine becomes less of a problem when severely overspined as compared to under spined. I was actually shooting them last night out of the allegiance just for kicks at a 3 spot vegas target andwas just pounding that 10 ring all night with a pins setup at well over 300fps, not your traditional spots setup but it shot great. I would also consider Carbon Tech Hippo's and Carbon Express CXL2's if I ever decide to start shooting 60lbs instead of 70lbs for 3D.

I will probably be using either the Carbon Tech Whitetail XP, or Gold Tip Pro Hunters. I have considered trying the ACC's but I really like all carbon durability for hunting.

For indoor, this year I am trying Easton x7 Cobalts in 2512. I will be shooting the Constitution at 60lbs, so according to Ontarget2, I have them cut to 32" w/ 173 grains in the front of them.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Easton Camo C2!
Old 12-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blackhawk Vapors!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:18 AM

I wasn't offended or trying to argue, sorry if it came off that way. I just like to take these chances to let people know the real differences between carbon and aluminum arrows.

Many are under the impression carbons are better arrows and aluminum is inferior when this is not the case at all. Carbons resist bending and can be made lighter for the same spine, those are about he only real advantages in my opinion.

I have shot both carbon and aluminums of different grades and to be honest I can get them all to shoot pretty well. Like I said, most average archers will not be able to tell the difference in most cases. I have actually had more problems with carbons going bad than I have aluminums. And I have deffinately seen and heard of far more carbon arrows being bad out of the box than I have aluminums.

That is my only real gripe with them really. You can get carbons as cheap as aluminums, maybe cheaper now but the quality will not be the same. You will most likely have insconstant arrows in the dozen you buy, up to half the arrows in some cases. Where as you can buy run of the mill game getters or Jazz youth arrows and they are good enough to target shoot with.

Not that you can't get good carbon arrows, they just cost a bit more is all.

The Main reason I like aluminums though is because I can get them just about anywhere and I can build them up over a gas stove with some hot melt glue and a tubing cutter. And if an insert happens to be off it is pretty easy to fix. They are just more convenient for me is all.

Paul
Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 AM

I have only used Easton aluminum xx78's and xx75's. The "Bow Man" (owner's name of our local shop) has been trying to get me to switch to carbon for 2 yrs. but I still like aluminum.

Quick Reply: Arrow Brand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.